Rename multiple files in a folder regularly..

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Rename multiple files in a folder regularly.. Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:01 am • by Flippy
Hi,

I'm looking for some help with renaming files using hazel. I have checked this forum and others but haven't found anything the same that matches my abilities.

I'll give 2 versions.

The Short.....

I want hazel to rename files in a folder. e.g. TV ShowThe Simpsons s01e01.mkv TO The Simpsons s01e01.mkv .... I want to loose the first 7 characters of the filename.

The files coming in will be varied and continuous so I don't want to do this manually. Open to ideas.....

Any help is appreciated.....

The long.....

I have a LG TV and like the media link app on the TV simply cause it looks nice with the DVD cover, imdb info and score. Also Good to see the actors at a glance.

I download using SABNZB and have the different video files put into Movies and TV Shows folders.

Media Link doesn't accept some audio formats so I use MP4Tools to convert the files.

MP4 tools can watch the folder that contains the TV shows and Movies and convert them BUT puts them into 1 folder, when completed, they are mixed up together.

To fix that, I used hazel rules to say if it is in the TV Shows folder, to rename the file with TV Shows at the beginning of the filename. Then it becomes "TV showsThe Simpsons s01e01.mlv".

This works, but when I get hazel to move the file to another folder for plex to process I want the file to be renamed minus the "TV Shows" part at the start. I am having no luck here.

I have seen that this is possible using apple script and/or automator but haven't seen anything I can download (Broken links or apple scripts and automator workflows) or works my limited osx experience. (2 years)

Any Help is appreciated.....
Flippy

First off, please do not post questions in the Tips forum. There is a sticky article at the top of the forum telling you not to do this. That forum is meant for people who are providing tips and recipes.

As for your issue, look up "match patterns" in the help. Using those, you can capture everything after the first part into a custom token which you can then use in the renaming pattern.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

My Apologies, Thanks for the help.
Flippy

Return to Support