Hazel to email new or modified files

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:48 pm • by Wayhay
Hi all, I too have a similar issue since El Capitan update. I've been successfully attaching a zip file to an email and automatically sending it with a script that looks the same as the one in this thread, but since El Capitan it sends the email with no attachment. Code worked fine before, and nothing's changed.

Does anyone have a workaround for this yet?
Wayhay

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:35 pm • by Mr_Noodle
There are two problems here. One is that the script executes successfully but doesn't include the attachment and one where you get an error executing the script. In either case, it is important to try running the script outside of Hazel. Also, leocrespo, I sent you a response with some questions which you have not answered. I cannot help you with your problem if you don't provide the necessary feedback.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:35 am • by daanjj
Hi there!

I just noticed that since upgrading to El Capitan, attachments are not included in email generated by Hazel. Looking at this discussion thread, I assume it is a bug on either Apple/El Capitan side or the Noodlesoft side. Anyway, is this being looked at and/or fixed?

If that would help, I am happy to provide additional info.

Daan
daanjj

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:41 am • by Mr_Noodle
Again, try the script outside of Hazel. Chances are very high it is Apple Mail that has the problem as Hazel doesn't how the script runs in this case. If Hazel doesn't report an error, then as far as it's concerned, the script ran correctly.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:22 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Ok, no one has sent me any reports on whether this script works outside of Hazel so I did my own test. The same behavior (no attachment) can be seen when running the script without Hazel being involved at all. Therefore, the issue is with Apple Mail. They either changed the AppleScript dictionary or just plain broke the attachment functionality as it pertains to AppleScript. I suggest submitting a bug with Apple for this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:08 pm • by Wayhay
Hi there thank you for looking into this, I really would like this functionality back, Is there any third party mail apps that would work with this script?
Wayhay

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:12 pm • by buddyq
Mr_Noodle wrote:Ok, no one has sent me any reports on whether this script works outside of Hazel so I did my own test. The same behavior (no attachment) can be seen when running the script without Hazel being involved at all. Therefore, the issue is with Apple Mail. They either changed the AppleScript dictionary or just plain broke the attachment functionality as it pertains to AppleScript. I suggest submitting a bug with Apple for this.

Might we suggest it is YOU, the one who makes the software, responsible for trying to figure out what Apple did with El Capitan? That's why we pay for the license right? What good are we going to do by researching this problem? We don't know what we don't know. You're the developer who is taking our money, it should be you who does this research to find out how you can make YOUR product better and provide support not the users.

If they did change the library, you should find out. If it's broken, you should find out. This should be a top priority as many are moving to El Capitan. Seems tag support is also broken in El Capitan.
buddyq

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:59 am • by Mr_Noodle
It is broken by Apple. Nothing I can do will change that. Plus, this is a third party script accessing someone else's app. The script does not work, Hazel or no Hazel. I'm not sure what you are expecting me to do at this point.

As for tags being broken, this is the first I'm hearing about it. If you have details, please post them in a new thread.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:09 pm • by rllewis
Did you ever solve this issue?
rllewis

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:14 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I haven't heard of any changes on this front. If you are suffering from this, again, please contact Apple. The more people that do that, the more likely they will take the bug seriously and fix it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:08 pm • by rllewis
I tested using Airmail 2. Same behavior. How do I contact Apple and what do I say to them?
rllewis

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:11 pm • by Mr_Noodle
In that case, contact the authors of Air Mail. Note also that for the most part, AppleScripts do not transfer from one program to another. Unless Air Mail made its AppleScript dictionary identical to Mail's, you can't just take a script meant to drive Mail and have it work with Air Mail.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:11 pm • by rllewis
I revised the script to use Airmail instead of Mail. The email opened in Airmail just as the old one did in Mail. No attachment. It's not an Airmail issue; it's an apple script issue.
rllewis

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:11 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Again, scripts aren't necessarily transferrable like that. The app itself has to implement the AppleScript dictionary. Unless AirMail specifically tried to emulate Apple Mail's AppleScript dictionary, a script written for Apple Mail shouldn't necessarily work with AirMail. You should in the very least contact their support to make sure what you are doing is correct using their AppleScript support.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel to email new or modified files Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:23 pm • by rllewis
Sorry, I'm unclear. I don't want to use AirMail. I use Mail. I just tested it w/Airmail to see if it would work. It did the exact same thing as Mail, which tells me the issue is with El Cap.
rllewis

PreviousNext

Return to Support