Rename Twice

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Rename Twice Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:48 am • by andymandias
I have a rule that uses two rename actions. The first action uses pattern matching to rename the file using different fields, and it uses periods to separate the fields in the final name. But, sometimes a field is empty leading to repeat periods appearing in the final name. I want to get rid of those, so the second action uses the rename with pattern "filename" along with the "Replace Text" option to remove all repeat periods.

This seemed to be working fine for a while, but recently (when I changed the destination folder of the files) it stopped. The pattern "filename" seems to be referring to the original filename of the file, rather than the filename just prior to rename action.

Should two stage renaming work in the manner originally intended, or are renames always to be made with respect to the original filename?
andymandias

Re: Rename Twice Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:35 pm • by andymandias
I can get it the two rename actions to work again (one to use the output of the other) by adding a delay between rename actions (the form of which I've tried is via Applescript).
andymandias

Re: Rename Twice Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:49 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Which "filename" attribute are you using? Hazel has "Name" and "Full Name" built in. Is this a Spotlight attribute?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support