Force Dropbox sync to finish then Hazel to run??

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Exec Summary: How can I make hazel wait to run until a Dropbox sync has finished on a folder?

Hi, I am looking to do something like this:

Laptop: Copy a folder with mp3s into a Dropbox Folder (let's call it FOO).
Home Desktop w Dropbox & Hazel running: 'watch' folder FOO. Once the folder and all the files inside it are synced to the machine then have Hazel do:

Move folder from Dropbox folder FOO to ~/Desktop/
'run commands on the contents of folder'
import into iTunes into Playlist "just imported"

I have this 'workflow' working when copying a folder from the local machine to a locally watched Hazel folder....but everything freaks out once I get Hazel to watch the Dropbox folder.

Freaks out === 10 different folders were created when the folder was moved. With only some folders containing an mp3....and only a random set of files imported into iTunes.

From what I can tell the issue is that Hazel starts 'working' once the folder (empty with no files in it) has synced locally..,..instead of waiting for the entire folder/files to sync...then have Hazel start working.

I would really like to avoid Applescript if possible.

Cheers, Shane
shaneowenby

Here is the current set of Hazel rules:

http://shaneo-public.s3.amazonaws.com/Hazel_rules.png

shaneowenby

Any chance someone can throw me a bone? Really like to get this working this weekend. Cheers, Shane
shaneowenby

I'm not sure why you are using "Run rules on folder contents" here but it's probably wrong. Can you describe what you want to do without using Hazel rules to describe it?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hi Mr. Noodle, Thx for the reply.

If I were to do all the steps manually here is what I would do:

[on some remote machine] Copy a folder full of mp3s to a folder in Dropbox.
wait until I am next in front of the machine at home (this delay ensures that the home machine has all the latest updates from Dropbox) that is the master iTunes library...then move the new folder from Dropbox to the local hard drive of the machine.
Go into iTunes and import all the mp3s from the newly added folder.
Play new songs via iTunes.

Note: I don't have the 'copy files to my iTunes library folder" checked...as i want the files kept elsewhere.

Thx again for the help here. Cheers, Shane
shaneowenby

So have you tried it by removing the "Run rules on folder contents" action? If so, what was the result?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support