subfolder created by year in it's name

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

How whould I create a sub folder when in it's name? Not when it was created,downloaded,modified,etc. Example I have a pdf file 2014-01-01-repair-electrical,and I have another 2012-09-06-repair-ac. I would like Hazel to create a subfolder for 2014 and another for 2012 and place each respective file into their proper year. Thanks
dave550821@gmail.com

Re: subfolder created by year in it's name Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:54 am • by dhy8386
Without regard to where your file are located and other files/folders, its pretty simple. You need to create a custom matching pattern based on name. Also assuming the files all have the same name convention in that they start with the year.

Set your first condition to "If name matches…" then it will allow you to create a matching pattern. Choose the * character which will allow you to create a custom match pattern. Name it something like Year and then choose the 123 option which represents a sequence of numbers. Then it will take you back to the main match pattern field. I would then add a dash (-) and then add an Anything (…) field. So it will look like: Year-…

Then for the action to do once it matches, choose "Sort into subfolder with pattern" and then choose the Year custom token you created.

If you want to sort into a subfolder in a different folder than the files, first move the files to the right folder then do the Sort rule.
dhy8386

I can't thank you enough!!
I have litteraly spent hours trying to solve this.
Thank you so much!!! Oh yeah I WAS able to do it on the first try no less.
I thought this had to be something simple but it illuded me. Thank you again.
dave550821@gmail.com

Return to Support