Sync and considering the "parent" folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Sync and considering the "parent" folder Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:26 pm • by dtos
Ok .. so - I have gotten viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1593#p6500 to work without issue.

My goal: I am syncing my OneDrive folder to a subfolder of my Dropbox (so ~/OneDrive/ to ~/Dropbox/OneDrive/) for an exact backup of files and folder structures.

If I set the rule on my root folder (~/) , then everything works fine (setting the rule for "Name" to "OneDrive"). My issue is, I feel better about setting the watch directly on the OneDrive folder. When I do that, I remove the "name" element, and it will capture new folder additions, files etc. However, if I DELETE a folder from ~/OneDrive that change isn't capture by the sync.

I've tried adding an "enclosed" option, multiple rules, etc. I just don't seem to understand why deletes in sub folders (example ~/OneDrive/Testing/testing123/) work without issue (removing the testing123), adding a new folder to the root works (so ~/OneDrive/NewFolder will move NewFolder to the dropbox account) but if I try and remove ~/OneDrive/NewFolder the change won't sync to the dropbox account.

What am I missing? As far as the rule I'm using, it is literally the one in the post above with the exception that I removed the first line where it names the folder. The folder being watched is my OneDrive folder (where the rule is applied).

Hopefully this makes some sense.

Thanks!
dtos

There's a reason why you have to do things one level up. If a file at the top level is deleted, there is no rule to match since there is no file. So, no action can be taken to delete it at the destination. When you sync a folder, though, when a file underneath it is deleted, that is a function of the folder itself so that deletion can be tracked.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Sync and considering the "parent" folder Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:46 pm • by dtos
I got ya.. Thanks!
dtos

Return to Support