Move file across home network and verify

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Move file across home network and verify Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:53 am • by teknologee5
I need some help trying to move some files across my home network and to verify against the new directory.

Info: iMac OSX 10.8.5, Hazel 3.2.5; Mac mini OSX 10.8.5, Hazel 3.2.5
Mac mini is my home media server and is always on/running. It runs itunes and plex.

What I am wanting to accomplish:
1. add/copy new movie to itunes on my iMac,
2. hazel sees that I added a new movie in itunes on iMac,
3. then have hazel verify on mac mini in itunes if that movie is present, (don't want multiple copies on mac mini)
4. then transfer the new movie to the mac mini if it is not there,
5. Lastly as a bonus - delete the original on the iMac

I have a roku in my bedroom that I use the plex channel to get the movies from plex on my mac mini server.
I am open to suggestions to make this work. I can do it manually but would like to do it automatically somehow.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
teknologee5

Unless all the movies are in a single folder on the mini, step 3 would have be be done via some script. The rest should be somewhat straightforward.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Unless all the movies are in a single folder on the mini, step 3 would have be be done via some script. The rest should be somewhat straightforward.

Thanks for the reply. They are all in the folder: MacHD/Media/Movies/
But they are all in separate individual folders. That is how iTunes organizes them on the mini.
For example the movie Despicable Me 2: MacHD/Media/Movies/Despicable Me 2/Despicable Me 2.m4v
Would it work like that?
Or only if: MacHD/Media/Movies/Despicable Me 2.m4v
teknologee5

Well, if you use the upload action, there is the option to not upload if the file already exists. The issue is that you need to replicate the folder structure at the destination on the source as well and use the appropriate "copy folder structure" option. I suggest playing with the upload action to get a feel for how it works.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support