Errors - not getting metadata + plist problems

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi,

I get this error:
Code: Select all
06/03/14 22.28.27,236 Systemindstillinger[43330]: ERROR: Attempt to write more than 100MB to com.noodlesoft.Hazel in the user defaults system. This almost certainly indicates something is wrong. Aborting attempt to save preferences.

I assume the prefs are corrupted?
I would like to clean install Hazel but keep my folder rules and folder setup. Can I simply delete the Hazel prefs and reinstall the license without messing up he rules?

Also I get this error for some files:
Code: Select all
DEBUG: Caught exception trying to get metadata to extract kind for file /Volumes/work/Inbox/Sorted/TIMESHEET.xlsx: Could not retrieve metadata for file: /Volumes/work/Inbox/Sorted/TIMESHEET.xlsx

How do I fix this?
musecaptain

P.S. I reinstalled my computer only 2 weeks ago and migrated Hazel to this installation.
musecaptain

How many folders do you have Hazel monitoring? I saw this problem once when the user had a bunch of folders. As for the other error, can you post a larger excerpt of the logs? Hopefully it will show the actual exception that occurred.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hi again,

I still have the first of the problems "Attempt to write more than 100MB to com.noodlesoft.Hazel in the user defaults system". To answer your question: I have no less than 58 folders with rules (some of them are there as a workaround for the lack of "multiple rules on one file-functionality".) - (see my Folder Organization Feature Request :) ) Also many of the folders are inactive as I only use them for batch processing (see my Droplet feature request). The problem causes that I can’t add any new folders to Hazel - its basically broken. I'm running the newest version.

This is what happens:
1. Whenever I add it. It appears in the list, and so do the rules that I add to it.
2. When I preview the rules, the preview works fine. But when I try to run the rules. Nothing happens. Not in console either.
3. When I then close System Preferences (I get the error message from before in Console).
4. When I open Hazel again, the previously created folder has disappeared (including its rules)
5. When I then drag and drop the folder into Hazel again, it appears in the list again including its rules, but it still does not work.

With the exception of the folders I’ve already created this means that Hazel is nonfunctional for me. Not possible to add anything new. It seems to be a bug.

I would like to reinstall Hazel but without having to set up all my folders with all of their rules again, and activating and deactivating the correct rules. Would would be the best way to clean install, with the least possible time required?

P.S. Deleting the com.noodlesoft.hazel.plist file does not make a difference (but it was over 100 MB). And Hazel has not recreated it after I deleted it. But it doesn’t seem to have lost its settings anyway. However I still get the errors even after deleting it.
musecaptain

Do not delete your config files without some direction as that will nuke settings. Hazel writes out your folders to preferences. The problem is that:

- Hazel writes out aliases to those folders. Unfortunately, Apple made the current equivalent to aliases HUGE. They take up way more space than the old aliases. I've had to convert to using the new ones as they are making the old ones obsolete.
- Apple imposed an arbitrary limit on preference file sizes in the last OS release.

At the moment, I can't think of a good workaround besides reducing the number of folders. Until then, any extra folders you add will not get saved.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support