Sync everything except ZIP files?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Sync everything except ZIP files? Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:50 pm • by rnb2
I have a basic sync rule working fine, but decided today that I want to try to exclude ZIP files from the sync, since I have a lot of folders that contain photos as well as a ZIP file containing those photos that I send to my client. There seem to be a few different options for excluding ZIP files (by extension, filetype, etc), but is there a preferred method? Also, given the sync setup below:

where would I put the ZIP exclusion? I have tried a few different options, and have (at worst) caused sync to stop working completely or (at best) not actually achieved my goal, as ZIP files still sync.

I thought about splitting this into its own rule and just have it run a sweep for ZIP files every 10 minutes or so on the destination, but don't want to end up with the two rules fighting each other, with one deleting the ZIP files and the other noticing the folders are no longer in sync and copying them back.

Thanks for any pointers!
rnb2

Re: Sync everything except ZIP files? Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:10 pm • by rnb2
I think I've already figured out one of the errors in my thinking - the top part of the rule is just a list of triggers for the Sync action, so excluding ZIP files there doesn't actually change what Sync does; if the trigger matches, Sync will run, and Sync.....syncs.

So, is there any way to modify what Sync does (i.e., exclude a file type), or is there a better way to do this? Or is it better left alone, since it's not that big a deal?
rnb2

Re: Sync everything except ZIP files? Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:43 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Sync is all or nothing. If you want fine-tuned control, you will have to use the subfolders rule (see sticky article) and then write rules to copy over the files based on whatever criteria you want (making sure to set the copy actions to copy over the folder structure). Doing it this way, though, comes with one main downside in that you can't have files deleted at the destination if they are deleted at the source.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support