Moving Files into a hidden folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Moving Files into a hidden folder Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:30 am • by brianjordan90
I have a rule set that moves files tagged with an Archive tag to an archive folder. Everything works great so far. My next step is to make the archive folder a hidden folder. (i.e. .archivefolder) This way it's contents won't be indexed in searchlight and they will be hidden from finder.

However, the dialog box to select a destination folder does not display hidden Folders. Is there another way to get this to work without resorting to scripting.

Thanks,

Brian
brianjordan90

Re: Moving Files into a hidden folder Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:07 am • by dhy8386
brianjordan90 wrote:However, the dialog box to select a destination folder does not display hidden Folders. Is there another way to get this to work without resorting to scripting.

Have seen this question asked a few times and its definitely not obvious. Change your archive folder to a hidden folder (.archive). Then all you have to do is keep your rule in place, but in the action part of the hazel rule (probably where you have the Move to Archive folder), click on the drop down to choose a folder, click Other… on the bottom, then hit Command+Shift+G which will bring up a Go To Folder box and type in the path to the hidden folder (i.e. ~/Documents/.archive). Thats it. Hazel now shows the hidden folder as the Move to folder.
dhy8386

Re: Moving Files into a hidden folder Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:53 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks dhy8386 for all the forum help. Just to add a bit, the above is not Hazel specific. You can do that in any open dialog on OS X (one of many hidden features).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support