Cant remove duplicate files on subfolders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Cant remove duplicate files on subfolders Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:53 pm • by carribeiro
I believe I may have found a bug on the way the "Duplicate Files" option (on the main pane of Hazel) is implemented.

I'm trying to implement a ruleset which removes duplicated files from all subfolders of a given folder. I implemented a VERY simple ruleset; it has just one rule, that is the standard "Kind is Folder" + "Run rules on folder contents". In the base rule I set the "Duplicate Files" option.

When I run this ruleset on a single folder, it works perfectly, and it does delete all duplicate files. However, when I run the same ruleset on a folder with subfolders, duplicate files are not deleted. The folders are being all inspected (the logs show the rule descending into each subfolder) but the "Duplicate files" action is not applied on each subfolder.

This is a serious failure for an otherwise great product (which, by the way, I registered today, as I was very impressed with its power). However this bug may require me to resort to writing Python scripts which is something I though Hazel could help me avoid.

Hope you check into this and provide a workaround, or (better) fix it.
carribeiro

Re: Cant remove duplicate files on subfolders Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:46 am • by dhy8386
carribeiro wrote:I believe I may have found a bug on the way the "Duplicate Files" option (on the main pane of Hazel) is implemented.

I'm trying to implement a ruleset which removes duplicated files from all subfolders of a given folder. I implemented a VERY simple ruleset; it has just one rule, that is the standard "Kind is Folder" + "Run rules on folder contents". In the base rule I set the "Duplicate Files" option.

When I run this ruleset on a single folder, it works perfectly, and it does delete all duplicate files. However, when I run the same ruleset on a folder with subfolders, duplicate files are not deleted. The folders are being all inspected (the logs show the rule descending into each subfolder) but the "Duplicate files" action is not applied on each subfolder.

This is a serious failure for an otherwise great product (which, by the way, I registered today, as I was very impressed with its power). However this bug may require me to resort to writing Python scripts which is something I though Hazel could help me avoid.

Hope you check into this and provide a workaround, or (better) fix it.

Works fine for me. It did take a few runs for it to i guess confirm the duplicate files but it worked. Are you sure the files are exact duplicates? I would test by taking one file and copying it a few folder layers down. If you click on preview button in hazel and look at the files, it should show a badge warning file may be a duplicate. if so, shoudl work.
dhy8386

As mentioned, make sure the files are true duplicates. I suggest also checking the logs to make sure there are no errors.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support