Renaming an .epub based on a PDF file

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Renaming an .epub based on a PDF file Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:12 pm • by musecaptain
I have a folder with an .epub and a .pdf of an ebook. It’s two versions of the same book. The PDF has a Title while the .epub doesn’t. I can rename the PDF based on the title in the PDF.

However I can’t solve the following two problems:
1. How can rename the .epub with the same title from the PDF?
2. Also I would like to rename the folder containing the PDF and ePub as well, with the same Title from the PDF.

How can I accomplish this?

P.S. Publisher 1 and Publisher 2 are just placeholders for names of potential publishers, to identify the books as e-books and not manuals.

See the attached photo - I don't know where to go from there:
http://cl.ly/image/103c0X0v2i0H
musecaptain

Re: Renaming an .epub based on a PDF file Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:07 pm • by Mr_Noodle
You can't really rename the epub based on the pdf file currently without using a script.

You might be able to rename the containing folder though. Hold down option and click the + button to create a new condition. This will create a nested condition that has an additional pop-up. Now, assuming the folder only has one pdf file, you add a condition to that nested condition like:

Name matches (• pdf name)

where (•pdf name) is a custom token set to matching (anything). You can then use (•pdf name) in the rename action to rename the folder.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Renaming an .epub based on a PDF file Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:50 pm • by musecaptain
Mr_Noodle wrote:You can't really rename the epub based on the pdf file currently without using a script.

You might be able to rename the containing folder though. Hold down option and click the + button to create a new condition. This will create a nested condition that has an additional pop-up. Now, assuming the folder only has one pdf file, you add a condition to that nested condition like:

Name matches (• pdf name)

where (•pdf name) is a custom token set to matching (anything). You can then use (•pdf name) in the rename action to rename the folder.

Thanks for the answer. That was as far as I got as well. Could be great with a universal script for this kind of situation: Doing some action on one files based on content/metadata from another matched file.

If not consider it a feature request.
musecaptain

Re: Renaming an .epub based on a PDF file Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:12 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Well, there is a feature on the list already where you can use custom tokens defined in one condition in other conditions (right now, they can only be used in actions). Doing this will open up the ability to, say, capture the name of one file then use that captured name in another condition against another file.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Renaming an .epub based on a PDF file Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:19 pm • by musecaptain
Mr_Noodle wrote:Well, there is a feature on the list already where you can use custom tokens defined in one condition in other conditions (right now, they can only be used in actions). Doing this will open up the ability to, say, capture the name of one file then use that captured name in another condition against another file.

That is an extremely powerful feature! Looking forward to that one!
musecaptain

Return to Support