undoing 'run rules on folder contents'

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

undoing 'run rules on folder contents' Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:21 am • by Scooter
I'm trying to have something archived to be unarchived, and the contents will be a folder containing files. I then want to run rules on folder contents to tag them, then I want to move the PARENT FOLDER back to the Downloads folder where I work with it. But once I've directed the rules to the contents, I can't seem to undo it. I wind up with a download folder full of the contents of the folder. I've even had it unarchive and move the folder to a working folder, tagging the contents, then just leaving the folder sit, then had a second rule to find that folder and move it to Downloads, but it STILL runs on the contents, not the main folder. How to I refocus on the parent folder after I've directed attention to the folder contents?
Scooter

Re: undoing 'run rules on folder contents' Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:54 pm • by Scooter
A few more runs and still no solutions. I was hoping I could 'nest' the rules that run on the contents alone (hold down the option key) but that only seems to work on the conditionals above, not in the rules. I think what I'm going to do as a temp fix is write an applescript that just selects items aimed at the folder and move them - not using the data from Hazel at all, but that seems kind of sloppy. It would really be cool if there was some way of 'nesting' the rules applied or having some kind of 'apply to parent folder' command to undo the focus on the contents. If there is a better solution that just going outside Hazel, please let me know.
Scooter

Re: undoing 'run rules on folder contents' Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:27 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Are you trying to do this all in one rule? If so, that will not work. You need to do it via separate rules. You'll have to do something to have different rules kick in at the different phases. One trick to this is to color the files and look for the colors.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: undoing 'run rules on folder contents' Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:33 pm • by Scooter
That's how I have it set up. Exactly. Folder grey, then the contents get tagged. Then it seeks a grey folder and removes the grey and moves the folder. But it doesn't. It moves the contents of the folder, even though it's in two different rules. I don't understand. (Note: I'm not a programmer, I understand just enough of what I'm doing to be REALLY puzzled when it doesn't work.)
Scooter

Re: undoing 'run rules on folder contents' Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:18 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Post the rules as the devil is in the details, as they say.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: undoing 'run rules on folder contents' Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:16 pm • by Scooter
Thanks for taking a moment to look at this.

Here is how this is supposed to work. Another rule (that seems to work fine) unarchives the daily files I have emailed to me and moves the folder to "Hazel Work" folder for tagging. The following rule is supposed to sense the folder, change it's color label to grey and tag deleteMe to the files in the contents (I know that's is strange, but these are financial docs and I don't want them hanging around unencrypted. When I move them to an encrypted disk image, they disappear from the tag in in a finder window, so if I tag everything that comes in, I know instantly by spotlighting that tag when I'm done if I missed anything still on my HD) Here is the tagging rule
(sorry, can't figure how to add image)

If all of the following conditions are met
Kind is Folder

Do the Following to the matched file or folder:
Set color Label (grey)
Run rules on folder contents
Add Tags (deleteMe)

This is then moved back to my working hierarchy with the following rule

if All of the following conditions are met
Color Label is (Grey)

Do the following to the matched Folder:
Move to Folder (Downloads)

That's it. What I get is a folder that is tagged both grey and deleteMe and none of the contents are tagged at all.
Scooter

Re: undoing 'run rules on folder contents' Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:56 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I suggest reading the sticky article about subfolders at the top of this forum. It appears you are using the "run rules on folder contents" action incorrectly. That article should set things straight.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: undoing 'run rules on folder contents' Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:35 pm • by Scooter
I've delete the rule, downloaded the one posted and add a "Color to Blue" rule right after the "folder contents" rule. I've modified it in no other way. Still, it changes the color of the folder, but not the contents. I don't get it at all.

Could you direct me to a few working example where this works, because I've read it over and over and I'm not seeing what is wrong. I've stripped it about as bare as I can. There are no further subfolders in the folder, just files so it should be easy and quick. I'm looking though the 'recipes' thread and not finding any examples either.
Scooter

Re: undoing 'run rules on folder contents' Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:39 pm • by Mr_Noodle
What is this "color to blue" rule? I only see you coloring stuff grey. Is this some other thing you haven't mentioned? I can't really give you an example since everyone's case is different and I still cant' get a good handle on yours.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: undoing 'run rules on folder contents' Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:43 pm • by Scooter
I was experimenting trying to understand how it works. But never mind, I'll figure it out. It has to work, I'm just not seeing it. Thanks anyway.
Scooter

Re: undoing 'run rules on folder contents' Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:43 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I suggest using the preview function heavily before even thinking about running the rules.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: undoing 'run rules on folder contents' Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:49 pm • by Scooter
Cracked it. Posting this for the non-programmers out there, because we don't think the same way programers do and I didn't get despite the write up.

The confusion came from the difference between the words Rules and Commands. Since most things modify commands, it took a while to realize that it said Rules. Once I understood that, it was clear. You might want emphasize that in the sticky thread. I read it several times and never did get it till I found a few other examples of how it works. (and I'm REALLY not dumb.)
Scooter

Re: undoing 'run rules on folder contents' Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:24 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I'm not sure what you mean by rules and commands here. Do you mean commands as actions or something else? The jargon is fairly self consistent in the docs and UI so not sure what else can be done there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support