Unarchive contents into current folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Unarchive contents into current folder Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:12 pm • by novajunior
Is there some way of unarchiving the contents into its current folder? When I unarchive some things, it will create a new folder which makes me have to move the contents back out into the parent folder.
novajunior

Re: Unarchive contents into current folder Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:53 pm • by Mr_Noodle
You will have to set up a rule to go into those folders (see the sticky article above on that) and move them up a level. It's not a good idea to unpack archives into the current folder as it ends up dispersing the files mixed in with everything else that is already there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Unarchive contents into current folder Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:47 pm • by novajunior
Is there some sort of sample rule I can work off of?

Currently the structure is like this

Code: Select all
Folder
     --unarchivedFolder
               --stuff

I want to bring the "stuff" out of the unarchived folder into the main folder.
novajunior

Re: Unarchive contents into current folder Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:18 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Try something like:

- For your rule to unarchive, at the end, add an action to color the unarchived folder some color.
- For the rule to go into subfolders (again, read the article), have it only go into folders with that color.
- Have some rule as follows. Hold down option and click the + button to add a condition. In the resulting nested condition, do:
Code: Select all
    If (all) match (enclosing folder)
        Color is <whatever color you chose above>
    Move to (enclosing folder)

That basically moves any files in a folder with that color up one level. You might want to add a rule to delete the empty colored folders as well.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Unarchive contents into current folder Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:32 pm • by novajunior
So I set the color label after I unarchive. The problem I am having is that it is coloring the "unarchivedFolder" and not the stuff in it, so basically it is moving the whole folder out.

On another note, how can I rename the "unarchivedFolder" the same as the main folder?
novajunior

Re: Unarchive contents into current folder Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:24 pm • by Mr_Noodle
That is the point. You color the folder have the subfolder rule only go into folders with that color. And then the move rule checks if the containing folder has that color.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Unarchive contents into current folder Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:47 pm • by novajunior
Thanks I understand it now, and now it works. Thanks for your help!
novajunior

Return to Support