Converting videos

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Converting videos Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:25 pm • by dhcrees
Not sure if this has been asked before, but I've been a long time user of Hazel and am having difficulties with a workflow I have. I use iFlicks V2 to watch a folder and convert anything that gets dropped in. I have Hazel watching the target folder with the aim of it sorting the converted videos, but its sorting/moving the files before they finish converting. So I end up with something like:

video.m4v
video-1.m4v
video-2.m4v
ect.... in the final destination

Is there some way of getting Hazel to identify that the file is being converted. I can't think of a way to use the time based rules, because the conversion can take a long time. Sometimes in the log it shows that hazel thinks the file is busy and ignores it, but ultimately it will get moved before its finished.
dhcrees

Re: Converting videos Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:27 am • by Ridiz
I was looking for the same thing. Different configuration but same challenge...

Right now I just have Hazel wait until 'Date Added is not in the last 2 hours', which is less than optimal. It causes my workflow to take longer than it needs to most times, and triggers before my process is complete sometimes.

Is there a way to have Hazel only process a file/folder after it has not changed for x time (e.g. 2 minutes)? I basically needed to ignore a folder if it's contents are still processing. But once the process is complete and there are no more changes being made to the files, I want Hazel to take action.

Thanks!
Ridiz

Re: Converting videos Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:24 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Why not do "Date modified is not in the last X minutes"?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Converting videos Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:31 pm • by Ridiz
Thanks Mr. Noodle! I just realized that the folder 'Date Modified' is updated as the contents change. I just made a change to use that this morning and I just received confirmation that it worked 30 minutes ago. Thanks again!
Ridiz

Return to Support