Move folder to another folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Move folder to another folder Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:22 pm • by nd3r
Hi,

I really like this application and I so far succeeded with some rules but I can't manage to fix one of them:

I need a rule that checks in a folder, if the folder contains any of the following names I specified it will move the folder(s) and its content(s) to another folder called TV, if the names don't match I want everything moved to "Movies"-folder instead.

Ex. If I download an episode of Big Bang Theory to my "Downloads" folder first, I wan't Hazel to check for a couple of TV Show names (Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother etc) inside that folder. If the name match, I want those downloaded folders moved from "Downloads" -> "TV".
If the names specified don't match I want all folders in "Downloads" moved to "Movies".

Is it possible to achieve this? Do I need a script or something?

Im really a noob both in Hazel world and Mac world so any tips would be appreciated :)
nd3r

Re: Move folder to another folder Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:31 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Yes, that should be doable. I suggest downloading the trial and giving it a shot.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Move folder to another folder Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:39 pm • by nd3r
I have purchased the software already but I can't figure out this type of action.
I tried some stuff but it doesn't seem to catch the filtered names. However if I choose to move everything it works.
nd3r

Re: Move folder to another folder Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:26 pm • by Mr_Noodle
If you want to move a folder based on its contents, hold down option and click the + button to create a new condition. This will create a nested condition. There you'll find a target pop-up. You can set that to "any/all of its sub-files". The condition under this nested condition will now apply to any or all (depending on which you select) of the files underneath that folder which is what I think you want. The actions still apply to that folder and not those sub-files.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support