Importing Into iTunes

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Importing Into iTunes Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:19 am • by DJMax
I have a couple uses for having Hazel import files into iTunes, but I'm not sure how to make sure Hazel won't mess it up. For example, I'm in the middle of converting my "Soap" DVDs to Apple TV format. I could get Hazel to watch the destination folder and import them into iTunes, but how do I know Hazel will wait for the file to finish being converted? Will it detect the file is in use during the conversion and not import it until it's done?

Secondly, I use Beyond TV to record TV shows. Since the shows don't look very good while playing through Beyond TV, I move the shows to my laptop, edit out the commercials, send them back to the Beyond TV computer and have BTV convert them to Apple TV format and dump them into a particular folder. When my Mac isn't being a pain and can access that folder, Hazel moves those files to a folder on my external hard drive called "Import". This is where I run into a similar concern as I mentioned above. If I set up a rule to watch "Import" and then have Hazel import those files into iTunes, how do I know it'll wait until Hazel has finished moving the file before it tries to import it? I already come across a few incomplete recordings, I don't really want Hazel to start adding to the problem. Is there anything in Hazel that can tell it to make sure the file is complete before it imports it into iTunes?
DJMax

Re: Importing Into iTunes Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:06 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel uses several mechanisms to determine if a file is in use. This is more of an issue when it's another app.

Within Hazel itself, the actions run such that one action is complete before the next starts. That said, there are some exceptions (for technical reasons):

- "Open file" will return and start on the next action before the file is fully opened.
- "Run Automator workflow" will return and start on the next action before it complete if you are on Tiger. On Leopard, it should be able to wait.

Hazel should be able to detect most file moves/copies, at least when a well-behaved app is doing it. Notable exceptions are apps that are "cross-platform". Hazel will be able to detect when it itself is moving files.

If you are still concerned, I say make a copy of some particularly large files and run them through the flow and see if it works. Also, feel free to post your specific rules if you think that there's something odd about your case.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support