versions: can Hazel distinguish manual- vs. auto-saved?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

i recently updated to iWork '13. after some AppleScript struggles, i got my rule that makes PDF copies of any Pages documents in a folder working again.

the only issue is that the rule is, well, very trigger-happy now. every time i make any change in the file, Pages '13 auto-saves a version, updating the Date Modified attribute and firing the rule. i thought (incorrectly) that this would only happen when i explicitly saved a version. this information is kept somewhere — the Revert command knows the date and time of the last saved version — but the question is whether Hazel can access it and only fire the rule when i hit ⌘S.
ecormany

I don't think there's any way for Hazel to tell the difference. As an alternative, you can try adding a condition like "Date last matched is not in the last X minutes" so that it doesn't trigger more frequently than every X minutes.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

yeah, i just did a little mdls digging, and it looks like Pages is pulling that information out of the versions database and not from the file itself. i think i'll leave things as they are, rather than introducing the delay, since the export AppleScript has to bring Pages to the front, and that would be even more annoying if i've switched to another app or closed the document before that happens.
ecormany

Return to Support