hazel not working in managed acct.

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

hazel not working in managed acct. Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:16 pm • by horace
Can anyone tell me why hazel will not work or start in my managed accounts. I installed it as an administrator(i turned my managed acct, temp. to an admin, so i could install) and now when i loggin, hazel doesnt start, and wont start via the UI in the prefs either.
Is this some sort of a permissions thing, if so what do i need to change to fix it.

it works fine on my admin acct. but not with my standard users(i want my standard users to not have admin priv, nor do i want them to have access to system prefs)

It's great program, a shame if I cant make it work.....

thanks ahead of time for any help anyone can give...
horace
horace

got it Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:31 pm • by horace
so in order to get hazel to work with my managed account.

Managed accounts allow one to set usage privledges, based on application. Thus users can and cannot use certain apps. I wanted to get hazel to run, and at the same time block user access to system prefs. In order to do this, I had to get to the hazelhelper.app file, and set user privledges on it via the admin account, It's a bit tricky, but I had to allow access to the user's files, to the admin account, get into users/(managed user account)/library/preferancepans/hazelpref(show contents)/hazelhelper.app the only way to set privs, on a user account, is while the user is logged out, this is done in account settings from the admin account. you have to manyually add another application to the "allowed list" of applications. This is also tricky to do, because the file selector will not let you allow to choose an app within a "package", you have to manually go in, create an alias, of hazelhelper.app, and put it in the preferancepans, and choose that one. thats it......its good to go.
Then make sure you set file access on the user account back to normal. or anything else you might have changed along the way

Now hazel runs in my managed user acct, and they have no access to the settings, system prefs, etc....hazel runs quietly in the background, and keeps things nice and tidey.

i know my explanation is a bit dodgy, if you have any questions,,,,,let me know...
thanks
horace

Return to Support