Create Alias action keep duplicating the same alias'

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I have some workflows that check a folder (movies folder on a NAS disk). If a new file/movie is added it creates an alias in my ~/Movies folder (so that they'll show up in Front Row).

But it keeps creating alias after alias of each movie file. For example if I drop 'ExampleMovie.mpg' into the folder being monitored I'll get alias' called ExampleMovie-1.mpg, ExampleMovie-2.mpg, ExampleMovie-3.mpg, ExampleMovie-4.mpg etc... in my ~/Movies folder.

My workflow is as follows:

If
Extension is > mpg

Do the following:
Make alias > in folder: > Movies
FOOOD

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:59 am • by Mr_Noodle
My guess is that somehow the rule is claiming it has failed so Hazel keeps trying to re-execute the rule. Do you have any other actions in the rule (in particular, actions after the "Make alias" one)?

I'm going to post a sticky article about how to enable debug mode. If you are commandline savvy, then you might want to turn that on and view the logs. Post what you find, if possible.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:16 pm • by FOOOD
Mr_Noodle wrote:My guess is that somehow the rule is claiming it has failed so Hazel keeps trying to re-execute the rule. Do you have any other actions in the rule (in particular, actions after the "Make alias" one)?

No there's nothing else in the rule other than the make alias one.

No, I'm not 'commandline savvy' but I don't mind trying something if the instructions are idiot proof :)
FOOOD

Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:18 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I posted an article to enable debug mode here: http://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=296

I say turn that on and look at the logs. Just pick a file that is exhibiting this behavior and look at the log messages pertaining to it. It should say what rule it matched and what it does with it. Post/email me anything you find there.

I suspect maybe something is going on with regards to it being a NAS disk. Do you know what protocol you are using (AFP, SMB, NFS, etc.)? I'm wondering if Hazel is unable to track the files properly (so it keeps thinking it's a new file each time it sees it).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:15 am • by FOOOD
I've been playing around with different things & ended up wiping my NAS disk (for a problem unrelated to this).

Since then this problem has seemed fine. I'll keep my eye on it, but keep my fingers crossed at the same time :)
FOOOD

Return to Support