sort into dated folders rule eats itself

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

sort into dated folders rule eats itself Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:18 am • by boldfish
I had a rule on my downloads folder:

if kind is not folder and date added is not in the last 1 hour sort file into subfolder with pattern date added

I've recreated it exactly as shown above as periodically I would get an error message that Hazel couldn't sort (the dated folder) into a dated folder(of the same name)

is there something I'm doing wrong?

I have other rules on the downloads folder, but surely if kind is not folder, should prevent hazel from trying to move the dated folder again?

it may be I didn't create the rule properly, I'll test it again. but can anyone see anything obviously daft about trying to sort my downloads into dated folders?
boldfish

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:21 am • by boldfish
Ah.

I just realised my original rule didn't have kind is not folder, because I wanted hazel to gather up expanded archives and put those into dated folders as well, so my question is how do I stop Hazel from trying to move a dated folder it created, into a dated folder of the same name.

sorry for being confusing....
boldfish

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:35 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Are you having Hazel expanding the archives? If so, you could add an extra action after unarchiving to set a comment or color the file. Then the other rule to sort it could only act on those files/folders. Alternatively, you could also prefix the sort folders with some text and only file those folders that don't start with that text. Not fool-proof, though so I think the first option may be the better one.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support