Excepting external disk trash from AppSweep(mv->support s

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

My external HD has been waking from sleep a lot more often than it needs to, and I've been wondering why for a while. I just lsof'd it and noticed hazel is monitoring its trash folder (which is almost always empty, btw). I was wondering how I can except my external's trash folder from appsweep's monitored list so my external can sleep peacefully most of the time, since I don't need hazel to notice anything I delete from it because it has no apps on it anyways.

Sorry if anything like this has been posted before! I searched but couldn't find anything, and with finals coming up I don't have time for a more thorough look-through.

EDIT: I was browsing two sections when I posted this and must have accidentally posted in the wrong section! For someone who runs their own phpbb board that's kind of sad...oh well. Sorry about that! Please move this to the support section, Thanks!
Quine

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:53 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I'm currently on the road now with my laptop so I don't have access to an external disk to test this but one thing to try is to either get rid of the trash folder on the external drive or try tweaking the permissions so Hazel can't see/access it. The problem with getting rid of the trash folder is that it will get re-created (I'd need to check exactly when that happens) but there's a chance that will only happen if you throw something away on that drive.

In any case, the trash folder is usually located in .Trashes/<uid> where <uid> is your user id. Usually, this is "501" but it can vary. If you type in "id" on the commandline, it will show your user id. Let me know if you need more help figuring this out.

Also, keep in mind that Hazel monitors the trash not just for app sweep but also if you are using any of the other trash management functions. So, if you have those enabled and need to throw away any files on that drive, Hazel needs to run on those trash folders.

Hope this helps.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:35 pm • by Quine
I don't use any of the other trash features on the external disk, so i'll try fiddling around with the permissions and see if that helps. Thanks!
Quine

Return to Support