Rules used to work, but not anymore

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Rules used to work, but not anymore Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:21 am • by cpeden
I sent this to support but wanted to post it here for community feedback. thanks,

Dear Noodlesoft,

I have been using a Hazel for months now and I have noticed it has stopped working.

I have a SMB volume that is on a samba ftp server. I setup Hazel to scan this volume and alert me when new uploads appeared.

My folder structure is as follows:

FTP/folder1
/folder2

I have the following rules running on FTP.

Subfolder = if kind is folder, run rules...
New Files = if date modified is in last 2 hours notify via growl and label red.

Now this worked for months, but apparently something in one of the last updates has stopped it. If I add a rule to one of the subfolders directly it works. When I preview the rules it shows the New Files rule matches the files within the subfolders but I don't get notified, nor does it label them. This all used to work so I am wondering why it has stopped. Please help.
cpeden

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:18 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Hi,

I emailed you about this but just want to point out that in general, if something looks ok in the preview, but doesn't work right when actually run, then chances are that an error happened during the actual execution of the rules. The preview only really predicts the matching part (the conditions at the top of the rule). Accurately predicting whether or not the actions (the bottom part of the rule) will run correctly is beyond the preview function's capabilities. In short, the preview function tells you what Hazel will try to run. Whether Hazel succeeds cannot be previewed.

The first place to look is the logs to see what kind of errors happened (if any). Just click the "View Log" button in the "Info" section.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:10 pm • by sjk
Mr_Noodle wrote:Just click the "View Log" button in the "Info" section.

Maybe add View Log to Hazel's menu bar menu for quick access? Thanks.

PS: Thanks for the feedback to my other posts, which I want to followup on a bit later when I've got more time.
sjk

Return to Support