Copy modified files into the right folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Your rule is fine if you do not mind copying the whole folder every single time something changes. If you do it this way, it is not necessary to copy the folder structure since you are copying the whole folder.

My suggestion to make it work better is to have it go into subfolders (the subfolder rule) and then have a rule to copy each file, using the folder structure option while doing so. You would need to limit the folders it goes into in the first rule to prevent that particular folder from being copied.

Looking at it again, though, maybe it's best to use the sync rule I linked to back at the beginning. Have Hazel monitor folder A and then add a condition to the rule to filter out the "sounds" folder. Note that it will also sync anything else added to folder A. Not sure if this is what you want but if not, you'll have to change the rule to not sync that stuff.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Regarding:

Looking at it again, though, maybe it's best to use the sync rule I linked to back at the beginning. Have Hazel monitor folder A and then add a condition to the rule to filter out the "sounds" folder. Note that it will also sync anything else added to folder A. Not sure if this is what you want but if not, you'll have to change the rule to not sync that stuff

and in specifically

and then add a condition to the rule to filter out the "sounds" folder.

Is this a separate rule to the sync rule or within the sync rule.

Because I tried both approaches many times and none works for me. Please can you provide specific help here.
vw-Hazel

Add the condition to the sync rule. The sync rule is already matching folders. You need to adjust it to not match that particular folder.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Copy modified files into the right folder Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:14 pm • by vw-Hazel
I still do not understand what specific command/rule I need to put:

In this synch, how do I get one folder within/under Folder A not to be synchronised?

Where do I put the rule, and what do I need (specifically) to put?

I have tried so many different ways to make it work. None of them do for me.
vw-Hazel

Hazel should be monitoring folder A and then in that rule, add a condition like "Name is not XXXXX" where XXXX is the name of the folder you don't want to sync.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Copy modified files into the right folder Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:21 pm • by vw-Hazel
If you mean like this:

It does not work. Ie the modified contents of the Folder A/Sounds get copied. (This shows the rules are matched.)

If you mean like this:

It does not work. Ie the modified contents of the Folder A/Sounds get copied. (This shows the rules are matched.)

If you mean like this:

If you mean like this:

It does not work at all, nothing gets synchronised/copied. (This shows the rules are not matched.)

So, where do I put the:

"Add a condition like "Name is not XXXXX" where XXXX is the name of the folder you don't want to sync."

to make it work?

Please, please, please give some specific help.
vw-Hazel

None of the above. Folder A should be in your folder list on the left. You then have your rule match folders and also not match whatever folders you do not want to sync. So, "Kind is folder and Name is not blahblah".
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Support