Sync recipe does not propagate moved files correctly

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hello all,

Longtime lurker and first time poster here. I need some help with a Hazel sync recipe. I have two folders, "Test Folder One" and "Test Folder Two" and I have sync recipes added for each folder so that if there is a change in one folder, the other is kept in sync.

Everything seems to work fine with one exception. For some reason, if a file is moved into a subfolder, then the folder that is being synced to will keep the original where it was and just make a copy into the subfolder, and the folders become out of sync (i.e., the "destination" folder has an extra copy of the file that was moved into a subfolder).

I recorded my screen and uploaded it to Vimeo so that you can see exactly what's going on. Here is the screen capture: https://vimeo.com/79210968

Also, here is a copy of the rules that are causing my problems:

Any ideas on why this is happening? Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Texas_Noodler

The problem is that you are syncing a file (the one at the top level) and not a folder. When you do that, it cannot sync when the file disappears since the file does not exist for a rule to match it. Think of the existence of a file as a property of the folder that contains it. Since you are not matching rules against "Test Folder One", but it contents, you get the results you see now. You need to monitor one folder up if you want to catch those kinds of changes.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support