Creation of Folders based on date?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Creation of Folders based on date? Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:00 am • by jagosilver
I'm trying to setup a rule that will take a folder full of files and create new folders and subfolders with the names 2013 ->01 January, 2013 ->02 February etc and then sort the files into those folders. Ideally I'd like Hazel to be able to create the folders and subfolders itself.

For example, if I drop a file into the processing folder with a creation date of 1st Feb 1982, I'd like Hazel to Create a folder called 1982 with a subfolder called 02 February and then move that file to it...

If however, the folders already exist then all it has to do is move the file...

Any suggestions?

Thanks
jagosilver

Re: Creation of Folders based on date? Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:49 am • by Mr_Noodle
Use the Sort into subfolder action and drop in the creation date. You can format the date from there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Creation of Folders based on date? Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:41 pm • by jagosilver
Thanks!

I'll give that a go...
jagosilver

Re: Creation of Folders based on date? Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:05 am • by jagosilver
That worked really well, I initially had it set to run on any files, but that produced a side effect where the rule ran on the folders it had created! Sorted it out by making sure the rule only applied to the file types I was putting in the folder. I'm going to let it loose on a folder with a year's worth of photos in it next (about 10,000 files...)

Thanks again
jagosilver

Re: Creation of Folders based on date? Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:13 pm • by Ron
Hello jagosilver,

Did you have any success with your solution............
I would like to know how to do exactly the same, i.e. file from an ScanSnap Inbox to predetermined Folders by a Dated File Name ending in a Folder system by Year and then Month. (say e.g. 2013 > 01, 02, 03 etc.. Folders.

What I have achieved so far with Hazel is pretty fundamental, but this solution would convince me of Hazels usefulness too me personally....

I have already asked this question via the Support page but as yet not received a reply.

Ron.
Ron

Re: Creation of Folders based on date? Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:52 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I've replied via support (please do not email support and post here as I end up having to reply twice). Also, it seems jagosilver did solve his problem by making sure his rule essentially filtered out any folders.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support