two Leopard issues...

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

two Leopard issues... Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:10 pm • by matt
I got my Leopard pre-order a day early and it's awesome! However, I'm having two issues with Hazel. I only have two rules on my system right now and uninstalled Hazel and reinstalled so I think everything's clean.

1. I have a rule watching my Downloads folder for files with extension "nzb". It takes the file and moves it to a different folder. I also have a stack set up for my downloads folder. When I download a nzb file it sits in the folder and doesn't move. When I open up the Hazel console it has a message about the file being busy but nothing has the file open. I can delete it or move it manually without issue.

2. I have a rule to watch a folder for any file, and when one is found to move it to a network drive (attached to the airport). The rule triggers properly and the file is copied to the network drive but not deleted from the source folder. The console displays the message that the file has been moved to the destination. I couldn't find any error messages.

Any suggestions?
matt

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:56 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Unfortunately, I'm still under NDA so I can't discuss Leopard specifics. You should probably email me so we can do specific diagnostics.

What program are you using to create nzb files? My guess is that program is mistakenly setting the busy flag on the file. You may want to consult the author of that program and tell them to fix that.

As for #2, I've heard reports about this but no one has stepped forward with details when asked. If you could tell me what sharing protocol you are using as well as the versions of OS X at both ends, that would help. Also, double-check what happens when you move the file using Finder.

Like I said, it's probably best if you email me so we can do some back and forth to track this down.

Thanks.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:26 am • by Curlypaws
Hi,

I have also noticed that (at some point) Hazel stopped being able to move my files and instead started to copy them, leaving the old version behind. I have a rule to change the colour of the file - so I could see them sitting in the folder with the "wrong" colour while also existing in their new homes. Initially it seemed to affect certain file types, but under Leopard it seems more general :?.

At the moment I'm hoping to write a separate rule to delete the files based on how long it is since they have been added - and set the timing for just after they have been "moved" away. While the problem originally manifested itself on a move to a NAS box (which had previously worked OK - but with older versions of OS X and Hazel) from the Desktop, I'm also seeing the same problem moving files from the Leopard Downloads folder to a folder on another HFS+ internal hard drive (Mac Pro).

Oh, and I can't set Hazel to remove incomplete downloads after a specified period on the Leopard Downloads folder - it is limited to the Desktop.

If I can do anything to help track down the problem, please let me know.

Thanks,

Karen
Curlypaws

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:49 am • by Mr_Noodle
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the report. Drop me an email as I'm trying to get a small pool of testers to, well, run some tests for the moving/copying issue. I can't seem to replicate it myself unfortunately, so the more data points the better.

I think the issue with being able to check the incomplete downloads option has to do with the fact that the default folder for that now in Leopard is "Downloads" and not "Desktop". One possible workaround is to go into Safari's preferences and explicitly select the Downloads folder. I will fix that in the next patch.

Thanks.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Cannot move files in Leopard Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:18 pm • by Chris
I am facing the exact same problem not being able to move files... they are copied but not deleted. My MBP is on Leopard and Hazel version is 2.1 (v380).

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.
Chris

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:23 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Sorry about the lack of status update on this.

The problem has been identified. A fix has been tested and I'm looking to issue a patch early next week (probably Monday). There are some other big fixes in there as well so keep an eye peeled.

If you are desperate to have this fixed now and don't mind running a test version, email me.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:38 pm • by Chris
Thanks, Mr Noodle... just sent an email. I would love to test the version before my HD gets too cluttered. That's a great program that you have written, keeps things in order.
Chris

Return to Support