"Run rules on folder contents" not matching rule

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi Guys and specially Mr_Noodle,

First of all, let me thank you for such a nice piece of software!

Second... yes: Oh no, not another "Run rules on folder contents" thread.(Sorry!)

I have gone through the Troubleshooting+How to get Hazel to go into sub-folders+Debug Mode topics though I understand(or I think I do) and had to finally give up and create another thread.

My needs are pretty simple:
A monitored(Downloads) folder, where the contents are scanned for "Movies" file-type and moved to a different folder.

For this I have 2 rules as indicated on the "How to get Hazel to go into sub-folders" topic:

• First one is just one that looks for "Folders" file-type and the action is "Run rules on folder contents". (There's also a "Date added" restriction not older than 4 days restriction to avoid it from processing really old stuff)
  • Second one matches the file-type to Movies and the action is just move to a folder named jd.

Now, when I preview the rule matching, I only get matches for the first rule, not the movies moving one, even if the contents of these folders is recognized as Movies, I even tried forcing by looking for the exact Video type with same results.

The Debug Mode confirms what I am seeing on the Rule Matching Preview, it is not applying the 2nd rule. It just ignores the content of the sub-folders.

Details:
  • Running Mavericks with all updates.
  • Running latest version of Hazel 3.2.1 (Build 1049)

Here's an exported rule for that folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/snx116o9tjj77rn/Downloads.hazelrules

Any help would be really appreciated.
csantiago78

I'm guessing that mkv files are not considered movies. This is something that is defined by the app that handles those files. You may want to contact the authors (looks like VLC by the icon) to fix this. In the meantime, you can try matching on the file extension instead.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hi Mr_Noodle,

Thanks for replying!

It seems I haven't tried that after all...

THANKS!! That worked like a charm! Will create another one for movies in case any other type of file is used.
csantiago78

Return to Support