Color Labels and Tags in Hazel 3.2

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Color Labels and Tags in Hazel 3.2 Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:21 am • by OriginalSlinky
I have a set of rules that have been successfully working until I upgraded to Mavericks and Hazel 3.2. The rules rely on colour labels being set. It appears that hazel is failing to set the colour labels in 3.2 (under Mavericks). I can use colour labels as a condition, but not set after the match.

No problem there I thought, Hazel is very versatile and usually provides more than one way to skin the cat. So I figured I would convert to setting tags to achieve the same result. This works great until the final step when I try to remove the label. Is it possible to remove a label using Hazel and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.
OriginalSlinky

Re: Color Labels and Tags in Hazel 3.2 Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:15 am • by Mr_Noodle
There's a bug with tags right now which may affect this as well. If you are interested in running a test build, please email support and I can supply you with a link.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Color Labels and Tags in Hazel 3.2 Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:34 am • by fuddmain
I had the same problem, but did find a workaround. I created a tag called 'finished' with no color and use the 'Add Tag' action to replace all tags with that when I want to remove labels.

Seems to be working well so far.
fuddmain

Re: Color Labels and Tags in Hazel 3.2 Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:29 pm • by teedledee
Yeah, if you could allow us to remove all tags or specific tags, that would be great.
teedledee

Re: Color Labels and Tags in Hazel 3.2 Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:15 pm • by Mr_Noodle
While I am willing to implement it, I need concrete examples to guide how the feature is designed so please post your specific cases here.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Work around to remove all tags:

1. Run Add tag and select Orange while also selecting the Remove all other tags option. That rule will result in the file having the single tag Orange no matter what it started with.

2. Run the rule Set Color to X (i.e. no color) and that single Orange tag will be removed. Now the file has no tags.
Robert Livingston

Re: Color Labels and Tags in Hazel 3.2 Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:39 am • by Mr_Noodle
A question here moving forward is, do you guys want the ability to clear all tags or do you need to be able to specify particular tags to remove?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Color Labels and Tags in Hazel 3.2 Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:46 pm • by fuddmain
My preference would be to clear all tags. I haven't played with tags much, so I can't think of a scenario where I would need to selectively remove tags.

Thanks.
fuddmain

Re: Color Labels and Tags in Hazel 3.2 Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:28 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the feedback. In the meantime, Robert's suggestion above will work until such a feature is implemented.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Color Labels and Tags in Hazel 3.2 Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:13 am • by lohardt
I would love to be able to remove a single tag.
Many of my rules require me to use a step by step solution and before marverick i used color lables.
With maverick i can use tags, for a more powerful and invisible metode to distinguish between files.
And i would prefer not to lose other tags, like tages related to the content of the file.
lohardt

Re: Color Labels and Tags in Hazel 3.2 Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:40 pm • by teedledee
Forced to choose, I'd prefer the ability to remove a specific tag (in one workflow I have, various projects move from one stage to another, represented by a changing tag e.g. stage1, then stage2 then stage3 etc.). But if you can also include a "clear all tags" option as well, that would be fantastic.
teedledee

Re: Color Labels and Tags in Hazel 3.2 Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:21 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the feedback. Could you guys provide more specifics as to how you would use it? Just want to make sure I'm solving the right problem.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Color Labels and Tags in Hazel 3.2 Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:24 pm • by bpianfet
I use tags to also track my workflow. for example: DL(delegated), HH (important & high priority), project 1, finance, budgets, etc. As i complete tasks, i want to be able to clear the status tags ( delegated,important & high priority) by dropping them in my archive folder. I would like to be able to do this for both openmeta and mavericks as i slowly migrate all of my projects.

i can't find any official references in applescript yet for finder tags, and what i am able to find is limited to using the xattr command to add/replace tags. Which is where coincidentally we are with Hazel.

I like the Indev.ca Mail-Tags/Act-on rules where you can "remove tag" or search if item contains a specific tag to initiate the rule.

Ultimately, i need a rule that could just remove my status tags (HH,DEL, HL,LH). But if i could make a rule that could identify if specific tags are present, then remove a subset of those tags and then sort/move/retag according to the remaining tags.
bpianfet

Re: Color Labels and Tags in Hazel 3.2 Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:27 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the details. You can have conditions to match what tags are already present. I'm looking into adding the function to remove individual tags and will probably also add support for clearing all tags on a file.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support