Rule on Subfolders not working Automatically

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Rule on Subfolders not working Automatically Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:57 pm • by smokmnky
I have a rule that looks at my downloads folder and is supposed to open any movie file it finds in there with it's default program (in this case iFlicks). The problem i have is that the rule only works when I hit the gear icon and choose "Run Rules Now" it will not work automatically when a new video is put into any sub folder of Downloads.

When I check the "preview" icon it says that all the subfolders match the rules and like I stated above the "run rules now" command works and they all open up in iFlick as expected I just can get the rule to run automatically.
smokmnky

Hazel doesn't go into subfolders unless you set up a rule to tell it to. Make sure to read the sticky article above on going into subfolders.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

The rule works fine if I say "Run Rule Now" but otherwise it never works, is that related to the subfolder thing? Shouldn't the rule work even if I'm not doing a manual run?
smokmnky

If you don't have a rule like the one in that article, then it probably isn't working correctly. It may appear to in that the rule may be operating on the folder containing the file you want, not the sub-file itself. I suggest emailing support with a screenshot of your preview plus the rules you are using.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support