Clean and Organize Folder Contents

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Clean and Organize Folder Contents Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:04 pm • by jacketman
I have an existing Automator script that creates a set of folders for projects. The script creates the following numbered Parent Folder which contains a set of numbered sub-folders:

xxxx-Parent Folder
    xxxx-Collected (contains a folder with .indd files and sub-folders named "Links" & "Fonts".
    xxxx-Copy (contains .doc files)
    xxxx-Comps (contains various files and folders)
    xxxx-Images (contains files with extensions: .psd, .tif, .eps, .jpg, etc)
    xxxx-PDF (contains PDF files)
    xxxx-Reference (contains various folders and files)

I'm hoping to use Hazel to run a clean-up of the Parent Folder. Here's what I need it to do:

1. Scan the "xxxx-Collected" folder and delete all .zip archive files, move contents of "Links" to the "xxxx-Images" folder within the Parent Folder, move "Fonts folder to be within the Parent Folder, move .indd files to be within the Parent Folder.

2. Delete "xxxx-Comps" folder but prompt with OK or Cancel before moving to the Trash.
3. Delete "xxxx-Copy" folder.
4. Delete "xxxx-Reference" folder but prompt with OK or Cancel before moving to the Trash.

I know this is allot. Please let me know if any or all is possible.

Thanks!
[/list]
jacketman

Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:06 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel should be able to do most of those except for prompting with OK or Cancel. While you can use Applescript to bring up a dialog, you can't communicate the choice back to Hazel at the moment so Hazel will not do anything differently based on what the user clicks.

Other than that, try creating some rules and run them on some test files. Post if you run into any specific problems.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support