Mavericks: Date Last Opened shows blank in the Hazel log

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Greeting Noodlers,

I'm running the latest Mavericks beta with Hazel 3.1.4 and the oddest things happen when I create a rule that keys off of the date last opened field. Basically I created a rule to monitor a folder with "Any File" and "Date Created is not in the last 3 months" and then move any matches to another folder on an external hard drive.

So far so good; however, it appears to move everything, even though if you look at the last opened attribute it has the current date/time. So I went to the Hazel preference pane and looked at the contents of moved folders using the Quick View option and then 'Info' - I see the Date Added, Created and Modified all have current information; HOWEVER, Date Last Opened is blank on SOME folders, but not others (those stay put, BTW).

I've tried other options, such as Date Created, Added, etc. and no matter what I try, it moves EVERYTHING to the backup drive. I must be missing some basic logic here.

Any thoughts? Can I see WHY it matched a file?

Thanks.
Last edited by hstukenborg on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
hstukenborg

Ok - more info: basically I found the Hazel log and it's getting IO errors:

2013-08-20 23:27:26.418 hazelworker[9953] Processing folder Customers
2013-08-20 23:27:28.645 hazelworker[9953] assist: Rule Archive old customer files matched.
2013-08-20 23:27:34.998 hazelworker[9953] Error moving file /Users/henrys/Customers/assist to /Volumes/CrashPit/Customers/assist: -36 - I/O error (bummers)
hstukenborg

I'd be worried about IO errors. That is usually something wrong at a lower level, possibly even hardware. Or it could be the fact that Mavericks is beta and has some bug. I'd search the regular console logs to see if there are similar errors there.

As for the dates, you can't trust Finder windows as it will fill in t dates when it is blank with one of the others. You'll get better results in Hazel itself or by doing "Get Info" in Finder.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support