Simple File Extension Rule Not Working

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Simple File Extension Rule Not Working Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:14 pm • by exlxaxd
Hey guys. I'm hoping someone can help with this. I've just started getting into Hazel, so I thought I'd start out simple. I just wanted to make a rule that will trash bit torrent files once their respective downloads have completed. When downloads finish, my bittorrent client is set to dump the .torrent files into a folder called "• Trash Torrent Files." Once they land in there, I just want Hazel to delete them to the trash. Here's the rule I set up to do so:

and when I click the icon to preview rule matching, here's what Hazel shows:

So obviously, no matches are showing up in the right column despite the fact that there are 4 .torrent files sitting in there. I've tried a variety of different things with the rule syntax, and was only able to get it to work if I used "Full Name Contains '.torrent'" -- but I shouldn't have to use a workaround for a simple task like this. I've tried some other common file extensions as well and got the same results: it doesn't work. I've also tried clicking on "Run Rules Now" and still nothing happens. So it seems fairly clear to me that Hazel is having trouble recognizing file extensions. Could this be a flaw in the software, or is it simply user error?

I would really appreciate any guidance you guys can offer. I'm running Hazel 3.0.18 on Snow Leopard 10.6.8, if that helps. Thanks!
exlxaxd

Re: Simple File Extension Rule Not Working Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:06 pm • by sjk
Hi, exlxaxd. Nice detailed, visual post. I'm too lazy to create images for my reply. :)

Try changing the condition to:

Extension is torrent

… or removing the '.' prefix from the condition's extension text field.

It can be helpful to display attributes for files by clicking their white-circled Info buttons in the preview interface. Try that with a torrent file and you'll see torrent (no '.' prefix) as its Extension.
sjk

Re: Simple File Extension Rule Not Working Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:57 pm • by Mr_Noodle
This doesn't help exlxaxd, but versions 3.1 and later are more forgiving and will allow the leading dot on the extension.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Simple File Extension Rule Not Working Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:16 pm • by exlxaxd
Damn... such a simple solution. I can't believe I didn't try that. :?
Thanks sjk!
exlxaxd

Re: Simple File Extension Rule Not Working Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:13 pm • by sjk
Mr_Noodle wrote:This doesn't help exlxaxd, …
exlxaxd wrote:Damn... such a simple solution.

Glad you got it working, however you did. :)
sjk

Return to Support