Manual control of Rules

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Manual control of Rules Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:35 am • by dajaka
Is there a way to create a rule that only runs when it's selected from the Hazel menubar "run rules" menu?

Thanks.
dajaka

Re: Manual control of Rules Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:37 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Not really. Can you describe in more detail what you are trying to do?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Manual control of Rules Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:33 pm • by dajaka
I have a rule that I only rarely run and only when I choose to. Nothing is triggering it externally.

In the Hazel menubar there is "Run Rules" submenu with folders listed.

I'd like to be able to go to that submenu and pick a folder to run the rule that doesn't have any other trigger.

Am I misunderstanding what "run rules" menu does? I always assumed its a way to force a rule to run.

Thanks.
dajaka

Re: Manual control of Rules Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:27 pm • by Mr_Noodle
If its the only rule for that folder, then yes, you can just run it via the menu. You can't selectively run rules within the same folder though.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Manual control of Rules Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 pm • by sjk
Maybe retitling the menu item "Run Rules for" or "Run Rules for Folder" would make its functionality explicitly clearer than just seeing folder names under the submenu?
sjk

Re: Manual control of Rules Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:48 pm • by dajaka
Thanks, but this is missing the point of my original question.

I'll start over.

I have a folder that has numerous folders inside it. from time to time I want to move all the inside folders that have "Betsy" in the name of the folder to inside another folder.

So I created a rule that has:
name contains "Betsy"
Kind is Folder
Move to folder "ALL BETSY"

this works fine as soon as I enable it.

The problem is that I don't want this to happen all the time. I only want it to happen when I'm through working on all the folders that have Betsy in the name. Sometimes days or weeks go by before I need this action.

Right now I just leave it unchecked in the Rules list and then open Hazel and check it until it runs and uncheck it. If it's unchecked it won't run by selecting the enclosing folder in the menubar run rules drop down.

What I'm asking is whether there is something I can put in the rules so that I can keep it enabled and it is available for running by clicking the Run Rules entry but won't run any other time.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.
dajaka

Re: Manual control of Rules Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:47 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Right, there is no way to do that. Another way to do something similar, though, is to use color labels. You can have the rule look for a certain color and when you are ready to process them, change them to that color in Finder. Hazel will then kick in and handle it then.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support