Use WinZip to zip folders?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Use WinZip to zip folders? Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:26 am • by petehepple
Hi there,

I'm trying to use Hazel automate a process in which I currently manually zip a completed project folder with WinZip Mac into .zipx format, then transfer it to an Archive folder on my NAS. I know there's an archive function built in, but the .zipx format compresses the data more, which is vital for the size of the folders I'm working with.

As Hazel can run Applescript, Automator workflow and shell scripts, I'm hoping at least one of these methods will work.

I've already got a rule set up to move any .zipx files from my project folder to the NAS, I just need to know if there's an easy way to script a command to make WinZip create a .zipx file, using the folder's name as the zip file name (i.e., the folder 20130814 - Project 2 becomes 20130814 - Project 2.zipx. The trigger would be changing the folder's colour to green.

I couldn't find anything specific to WinZip Mac regarding CLI, so I'm not even sure if this is possible, but if so it will save me a lot of repetitive chores!

Anyone have any idea how to set this up?

Cheers,

Pete
petehepple

Re: Use WinZip to zip folders? Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:39 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I think you'll need to contact the authors of WinZip as they are the ones that need to provide the AppleScript or Automator support for this to work.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support