Tearing my hair out - create alias to import to iTunes

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

You are combining rules when the article tells you not to. To go into subfolders, use the rule in the article AND DO NOT TOUCH IT. That means don't add anything to it. Anything you want to do on the files you do in a separate rule.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

But where do I put this separate rule?
MoodyM

Anywhere in the list for that folder. There are multiple rules allowed per folder.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Anywhere in the list for that folder. There are multiple rules allowed per folder.

Aha! Thank you! I never realised that! Working now!

1 more question - since my "TV Shows" folder has over 2000+ .m4v files already, should I amend my script to ignore these somehow?

At the moment, nothing will happen to them anyway since m4v files aren't included in any of my If statements, but is there a system/CPU overhead to have Hazel checking 2000+ files every time a new file is added to TV Shows?
MoodyM

Possibly. I'd recommend moving them out of that folder if possible.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Possibly. I'd recommend moving them out of that folder if possible.

Why do you recommend that?
MoodyM

MoodyM wrote:
Mr_Noodle wrote:Possibly. I'd recommend moving them out of that folder if possible.

Why do you recommend that?

Moody,

Because if you have 2000 files in a folder, Hazel has to examine each one of them every time the Hazelworker process (think of it as a little robot) goes through to see if it needs to apply a rule. This will happen EACH time the folder is checked. You are better off having a folder which process the files, and then, in a separate rule, Hazel can move the processed files out to the folder with the other 2000+ files. It will save a lot of wear and tear on your computer.

Mr. Noodle, you are welcome! :D

Bryan
Bryan

Previous

Return to Support