Problem with kind is alias

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Problem with kind is alias Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:34 pm • by scottfwalter
HI,

I have a simple rule in which all the following conditions are met:

Name is "Downloads123"
Kind is "Alias"

However when I do a preview of the rules the alias (which points to a folder) does not run. The folder "Downloads123" is indeed an alias. Here is the rule https://www.dropbox.com/s/fv2luegr7fo619w/hazel%20alias%20rule.png and the results of the preview https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmucd9td4a10qmo/hazel%20alias%20issue.png

Any ideas on what is wrong? If I take off the Kind is Alias then the rule matches. However I would like to keep the Kind is Alias.
scottfwalter

Re: Problem with kind is alias Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:20 pm • by Mr_Noodle
How did you create the alias? When you select it in Finder and do "Get Info", what is the "Kind" listed there? And in Hazel's preview, click on the "i" button for the alias and see what it says there as well.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Problem with kind is alias Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:29 pm • by scottfwalter
I created the alias via the "ln" command. I deleted the alias and created the alias thru the finder and Hazel then worked with "Kind is Alias".

I was able to get Hazel to work with alias's created via the "ln" command. To get these aliases to work I selected "other..." from the kind is dropdown and selected "alias" from the popup. Weird.

Creating aliases with either Finder or "ln" command both have the kind of "alias" in the Finder Get Info window.
scottfwalter

Re: Problem with kind is alias Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Ah, the 'ln' command creates symbolic links. While they may look the same in Finder, and behave similarly, they are different things and there are differences when you use them. I don't think there's any piece of metadata that would identify it as such though. The best way to do that at the moment would be a script, unfortunately.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support