Help with a 'Move to different disk' action

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Help with a 'Move to different disk' action Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:47 am • by FOOOD
I'm trying to set up an action that should run as follows:

Hazel monitors a folder on a NAS disk. If a file or folder has a green label it moves it to a the desktop on my MacBook Pro & removes the green colour label.

I set it up like:

If: All
Colour label is: Green

Move file to: Desktop (MacBook Pro)
Set colour label to: none

It works fine but instead of moving the file from the NAS disk to my MacBook Pro it will copy it (so the files or folders remain on the NAS disk).

I tried adding 'Move file to trash' at the end but it moves the files on the MacBook Pro's desktop to the trash instead of those on the NAS disk (I guess that was wishful thinking expecting that to work :) )

Any idea on how I could get it to move the files rather than copy? (Or trash them on the NAS disk once they'd been copied over).
FOOOD

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:35 am • by Mr_Noodle
Are you able to delete files off the NAS disk? Is it possible there's a permission problem?

The other thing to check is the logs to see if there was any error.

Yes, the copy action shifts the file focus to the copy so subsequent actions operate on that. One workaround you could do is to set the color label (before the copy) and have a different rule that looks for that color as an indication that the file was copied. It's a tad risky though in that the color happens before the copy so if the copy fails, it will still get trashed.

Nonetheless, check the above first and post what you find.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:11 am • by FOOOD
Actually it does delete files differently on the NAS disk to regular hard disks. If I trash files on the NAS disk normally (Command +Backspace) a window will pop up saying
'The item will be deleted immediately. Are you sure you want to continue'. (rather than moving it to the trash).

I tried a quick test & set the action to move files on the NAS disk to the trash if they have a green label & it wouldn't trash the files.

I guess I need a 'Delete file' action (or script) rather than 'Move to trash'.
FOOOD

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:42 am • by FOOOD
Just want to thank you for the latest update.
It now works correctly moving files from the NAS disk to the desktop on my MacBook Pro :)
FOOOD

Return to Support