Creating an Alias (or a Pause)

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Creating an Alias (or a Pause) Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:32 am • by ng5forums
I have been using Hazel for a while now and am very impressed. All files go into a To Sort area, and I use Automator http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/automator/ finder plugins to right-click a file and send it to various watched folder where Hazel does a brilliant job of tagging and moving the files to my Sorted folders.

I have recently started using Journler http://www.journler.com/ which used in conjunction with my other great love Quicksilver http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/ is a brilliant way of saving web pages, sections of text, email (whatever) in one place.

Journler also has the function that allows you to send a file or a file alias to a drop folder. This is then tagged and imported to Journler and you can quickly access documents with a single click.

What I would love to do is have Hazel create a file alias and send this to the Journler drop box after it has filed the document to which ever folder I have decreed.

The problem I am encountering is to do with timing. I have a Automator task to create an alias into the Drop Folder, and this works fine, however if I call it from within Hazel, by the time it executes Hazel has already finished and moved the file. (I would love to buy a faster Mac but I don't have the cash and don't think even that would solve this :? )The Automator script then loses focus on the selected file and creates an alias of the folder that Hazel was monitoring.

Ideally if Hazel could create the Alias then I could create a sub-rule to move and alias files to the Drop Folder. Alternatively if a pause could be introduced into the Hazel rule, so you could specify something along the lines of
    Action 1 (run Automator script
    Action 2 (pause 10 seconds)
    Action 3 (move file)

If anyone has a work around for this I would love to here from them.

Cheers
ng5forums

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:00 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Good news. I actually just finished implementing this. The next version will have a new action to create aliases in whatever folder. It basically looks like this:

(Make alias) in folder: (some folder)

Let me know if that covers what you want.

As for when it will be released, there are quite a few other things I need to get done, including Leopard compatibility stuff but expect it before Leopard ships (hopefully).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:13 am • by ng5forums
Awesome Mr Noodle sir! Thats 2 out of 2 for perfect answers.

Look forward to the next release.

Cheers

Mr_Noodle wrote:Good news. I actually just finished implementing this. The next version will have a new action to create aliases in whatever folder. It basically looks like this:

(Make alias) in folder: (some folder)

Let me know if that covers what you want.

As for when it will be released, there are quite a few other things I need to get done, including Leopard compatibility stuff but expect it before Leopard ships (hopefully).
ng5forums

Return to Support