Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:22 pm • by gadget.geek
Good day. I'm using the latest version of Hazel and the latest App Store version of Aperture on 10.8.4.

Strange issue:

I'm trying to set up the Hazel rule to import images from Camera Uploads (via dropbox), into my Aperture Library. However, Hazel will only see the top 50 plus projects. It doesn't see the last 2 that I created in Aperture.
I've tried created a new folder titled Dropbox Pics, etc. However no luck.

I can direct Hazel to import the pics from dropbox to the Aperture projects that it sees.
However, it will NEVER allow me to "Move To" Aperture Library. In other words, never delete the pics in the Camera Uploads directory, when finished importing.

Please help.
gadget.geek

Re: Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:01 pm • by Mr_Noodle
As for the first issue, in Finder, select your Pictures/Aperture Library file. Right click and do "Show package contents", then select the ApertureData.xml. See if that file is being modified when you add new projects. There's a bug in Aperture sometimes where it, for some reason, stops updating that file.

As for the other issue, there's a known bug now where the options you set in the UI don't stick. You can check it by opening the rule again and seeing if the option was what you last set it to or reverted back to the first one.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:22 pm • by gadget.geek
Hi there.

Thanks for the response. It appears that ApertureData.xml does indeed update. At least according to the the fact that Finder states the time the file was updated. I add a test project and ApertureData.xml date modified time changes to the time I made the addition. Is there some file name I should be looking for in the .xml file?

Also, the 2nd bug you refer to....Is this in Hazel or Aperture? I tried deleted and re-entering the rule. No luck unfortunately.
gadget.geek

Re: Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:18 pm • by Mr_Noodle
You can try opening the xml file in TextEdit and searching for the albums names there. Not sure how well versed you are at reading xml though.

The bug is in Hazel and should be fixed in the patch released this morning. I suggest updating.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:09 pm • by stouty
Alas, for me, ApertureData.xml does NOT update. I'm currently trying all the troubleshooting advice from the apple discussion forums .... exporting all my projects and creating a new library....
stouty

Re: Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:48 pm • by stouty
Update: Opening the Aperture library in iPhoto causes ApertureData.xml to update. Adding an album to the Aperture library in iPhoto causes it to be added to ApertureData.xml. However, the new album does not show up in Hazel.

Also, adding a new project/album in Aperture still does not cause ApertureData.xml to update.
stouty

Re: Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:21 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Can you search that xml file for the new album to make sure it got written out?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:45 am • by nodeps
I'm running 10.9 and Aperture 3.5.1 with a clean install of Hazel and the OS and Hazel doesn't see any of my two Aperture Projects or Albums. I have read the rest of the thread and looked for all the aforementioned xml files and verified all settings etc. Has this been tested to work with Hazel 3.2.2, :? Aperture 3.5.1 and OS X 10.9?
nodeps

Re: Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:44 pm • by Mr_Noodle
And does the xml file exist?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:20 pm • by kayveen
Im runing aperture 3.5.1
and indeed no ApertureData.xml.
how to fix i really want this feature!!
kayveen

Re: Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:22 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Go into Aperture's preferences. Go to "Previews" and make sure the option to share XML with other apps is not set to "Never". It seems a recent version of Aperture may have this turned off by default.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Sat May 24, 2014 10:15 pm • by pickyizzy
I am having the same problem - I cannot see any Aperture projects. My settings are correct according to the previous suggestion, and the .XML file exists. I also tried this in iPhoto with my iPhoto library, but I still did not see any of the projects. Does it matter that I have multiple Aperture and iPhoto libraries?
pickyizzy

Re: Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Mon May 26, 2014 7:03 pm • by Mr_Noodle
It might. Also, are you sharing the library between the two programs? If so, that configuration is not supported at the moment.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Thu May 29, 2014 3:15 pm • by pickyizzy
Mr. Noodle - your last reply suggests that sharing libraries between Aperture and iPhoto is currently not supported. Isn't the nature of these libraries that they are now shared by default? If not, how does one disable this sharing?

Also, I can't seem to get the XML file to be created -- regardless of the setting in Aperture preferences...Any ideas?
pickyizzy

Re: Hazel Doesn't See Aperture Folders Thu May 29, 2014 3:23 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I don't have a fresh install handy to check but I suggest googling around to see how to extricate the two. As for generating the XML, it's a bit finicky so again, googling around may turn up something. I believe there's some hidden "repair database" option you can use that might help here.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support