Import to iPhoto - Hazel keeps trying to re-import

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

From what I read in the help files, Hazel should not try to run the same action if it has already run on a file – or is this only for that particular round of rules being applied?

Here's the situation: I set a Hazel rule to add photos from a file to an iPhoto library. However, it seems Hazel tried to re-apply the rules when it checks again, as I get an iPhoto duplicate file warning.

For now I have just set things up so that once the photos are processed, I do a color label change and make the rule look for files without that label. Do I need to do this permanently?
gcoghill

Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:07 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Your assessment is correct though there are a couple situations that can make a file get the rules run on it again, such as:

- You modified the rule.
- You did "Run Rules Now" which basically forces all the rules to run.
- If Hazel's internal database where it keeps track of files gets removed somehow.

Email me and I can go over some diagnostics where you can figure out what's going on.

In the meantime, you can also try adding a condition like "Date Added is after Date Last Matched".
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:36 am • by gcoghill
I like the date added after date last matched idea. Maybe I need to dig into Hazel a bit more.

Another thing I tried was moving imported images into a subfolder after processing.

On a side note – it's probably just me, but the word "images" seems like it would be more fitting than "pictures". I guess it's just because I import a lot of my own artwork into iPhoto in addition to photos/pictures. Just a thought.
gcoghill

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:11 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Date last matched was a fairly recent addition so it's not surprising if you missed it.

As for "Pictures", I may consider switching it. Looking at the Smart Folder's interface, I notice they're called Images there. For 2.1, I will probably revamp part of the "Kind" stuff to bring it more in line with Spotlight (and to allow you to access other "Kinds" in the system).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support