SMB Recursive Folder Issue?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

SMB Recursive Folder Issue? Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:33 am • by desh
Hello,
I'm trying to get Hazel to import music files from a SMB share into iTunes. The SMB share directory structure looks like:

Media/Music/Artist/Album Title/track.mp3

I've structured Hazel with:

Folder: Music

Rule 1 (recurse folders): Kind is folder, Run rules on folder contents
Rule 2 (import music): if all conditions are met - Kind is music, date last modified is later than date last matched. Import into iTunes (playlist - library)

When I preview this rule only artist folders appear in the dialog. It does not process album subfolders. Do I have a problem with my Hazel rules? Is this a limitation of SMB and Spotlight?

I've tried changing the Hazel folder to "Album TItle" and running Rule 2 and it is able to import the mp3 files into iTunes as expected.

If I am successful, will Hazel also auto mount network volumes when processing rules (for things like this iTunes import or backing up pictures to a smb share?)

I see a lot of cool possibilities with Hazel but this iTunes library sync was my main goal tonight and its hard to justify a purchase if I can't get that working correctly.

Thanks!
desh

Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:02 pm • by Mr_Noodle
There might be an issue on the SMB share since it may not have Spotlight metadata so it may not be able to decipher the "Kind". When you preview, I assume you aren't seeing a triangle to the left of the folder that you can click on to expand it?

If the machine where the share resides is a Mac, I'd recommend running it there since it should have access to the metadata (provided you have Spotlight enabled). If not, then you'll have to wait for the next point release as I'm considering doing some special case code to deal with the Folder "Kind" when metadata is inaccessible.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:46 pm • by desh
Thanks for the reply Mr Noodle. You are correct, when I preview I do not see a disclosure triangle next to the folder icons.

The SMB share is a Win XP "server". Glad to hear this issue is on your radar. I'm going to go ahead and buy Hazel and if you need any help testing your fix just let me know.
desh

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:14 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Feel free to email me if you want to test. I'm not sure of the schedule yet but drop me a line and I'll ping you when the feature is ready to test. Thanks.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support