Import into iTunes

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Import into iTunes Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:17 am • by Ton55
Isn't the Import into iTunes action supposed to take the conditional Kind is Music files and bring 'em over to your iTunes library - that is move the files to the iTunes music folder? Mine are imported just fine, but copied - not moved. So I gotta delete the originals by hand. Thatabug? Or a misformed rule somehow?
Ton55

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:31 pm • by Mr_Noodle
It's a function of iTunes and not Hazel. Go into iTunes preferences->Advancced->General. There's an option to copy there, otherwise I believe you have to manually move it yourself. You'd have to play around with the settings but I believe there's no way to get iTunes to move it for you. So, in the end, if you do a copy, you'll have to throw away the original yourself.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:41 pm • by Ton55
Allright. That's clear. But just what does Import into iTunes do? Move the files? Or copy them according to the prefs in iTunes?
Ton55

Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:14 pm • by Mr_Noodle
It tells iTunes to import it according to whatever prefs you have set up in iTunes. Importing usually has more to do with registering the file with iTunes' database with the copying part being optional.

If you do not have iTunes copy the file, then you want to make sure that the file is in its final destination first so that iTunes doesn't get confused (which could happen if you move it after importing). If you do have iTunes set to copy the file, then you can throw the original away. In both cases, you are telling iTunes to enter it into it's db.

Hope that explains it a bit better.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:18 pm • by Ton55
It does. Thanks for the info. I can do the math now to achive what I want.
Ton55

Return to Support