Organizing TV Series w/ subtitles

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Organizing TV Series w/ subtitles Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:48 am • by kaiijy
Hello. This is my situation.

All my downloads go to the Downloads folder. There i have two working rules. One sends TV series episodes to the folder Series and the other sends TV series subtitles to the same folder.

Then a rule renames them into a more suitable format and sorts them into a specific folder. For Example

The subtitles rules works quite the same way. I'll use Homeland for the sake of an example.

Series
>Homeland
>>Homeland S02E01.mp4
>>Homeland S02E01.srt
>>Homeland S02E02.mp4
>>Homeland S02E02.srt

This is what i have so far. Afraid of cluttering these folders with several films and subtitles, i've decided to sort them into folders based on their season and then episode. This is my intention:

Series
>Homeland
>>Season 02
>>>S02E01
>>>>Homeland S02E01.mp4
>>>>Homeland S02E01.srt
>>>S02E02
>>>>Homeland S02E02.mp4
>>>>Homeland S02E02.srt

Is this possible to do without creating an entirely new group for any of the child folders? Perhaps the subfolder depth rule may help me out here?

Note: I can't create a rule at the Homeland folder to sort files into episodical folders and then move the folders to seasonal folders, as whenever the subtitles arrive it will include a duplicate into the seasonal folder. I wouldn't enjoy creating a subgroup of rules for each TV series, but if that turns out to be a necessity, then i'm ok with it. However creating a new group for each season or episodes would bore me to death D:

I've tried reading the forums overall, yet this rule of Subfolder Depth never seem clear enough to me. If that's the path of my salvation, please let me know.
kaiijy

Re: Organizing TV Series w/ subtitles Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:04 pm • by polaris
Hi,

I assume use pattern matching for reaming your TV shows and subtitles already. You can use these tokes for telling Hazel where to move your files, too.

A rule like this one should get you where you want:

Maybe you named your tokens differently, but it should be no problem to rebuild a similar rule with your tokens once you get the idea.

I suggest you move the files to a 'processing' folder after you renamed them with your existing rules. Then you set up this rule to run on the contents of the processing folder.

Basically you just need three tokens. 1) the name of the show (token type Anything), 2) the season (token type Number) and 3) the episode (also token type Number).

The rule then does the following:

1) Move the matched files to your TV Shows folder.
2) Sort the files into a subfolder with the name you provided with your token for the TV show name.
3) Sort the files into another subfolder with the season, also provided from one of you tokens.
4) Sort the files into even another subfolder for the individual episode, using the tokens for season and episode.

I'm sure the rule needs a bit of tweeking, but one rule should be enough for all your shows. Just make sure you get clean tokens by defining a precise pattern match phrase. For example, don't forget a Space in front of the S or you will end up with a Space at the end of you Name of the Show token.

Hope this helps a bit.

Polaris
polaris

Re: Organizing TV Series w/ subtitles Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:25 pm • by kaiijy
Works like a charm, Polaris.

Thank you very much (:
kaiijy

Re: Organizing TV Series w/ subtitles Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:28 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Is there a reason you use 3 sort actions? You can do it all in one if you want. Also, the separator at the beginning is not needed (it's implicit in the action).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Organizing TV Series w/ subtitles Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:03 pm • by kaiijy
Mr_Noodle wrote:Is there a reason you use 3 sort actions? You can do it all in one if you want. Also, the separator at the beginning is not needed (it's implicit in the action).

How can it be made using a single sort action?
I've done the way he said and works like a charm, for both videos and subtitles. I've even created an automator workflow to remove the dots for series like The Walking Dead. I'm using a rule to rename and another to sort the files.
kaiijy

Re: Organizing TV Series w/ subtitles Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:58 am • by polaris
Mr_Noodle wrote:Is there a reason you use 3 sort actions? You can do it all in one if you want. Also, the separator at the beginning is not needed (it's implicit in the action).

Wouldn't a single rule sort operation move the file directly indo the lowest subfolder? As far as I understand, moving a file to a subfolder only changes the modification date of the destination folder, but not that of the folders above that level. Since I sort my top level folders by date to see what changed, this is the only way I could think of to achieve what I want. But maybe a single rule does just the same. I will give it a try. It would certainly be more elegant.
polaris

Re: Organizing TV Series w/ subtitles Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:50 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Just do something like:
Code: Select all
Sort into subfolder  A > B > C

where > is the folder separator character. All of the folders will be created as needed.

polaris: Yes this will move it directly to the destination. I'm not sure if most people would need to have the folders above modified every time this happens but since you do, stick with the original then.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Organizing TV Series w/ subtitles Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:46 am • by christyfredrick
polaris wrote:Hi,

I assume use pattern matching for reaming your TV shows and subtitles already. You can use these tokes for telling Hazel where to move your files, too.

Maybe you named your tokens differently, but it should be no problem to rebuild a similar rule with your tokens once you get the idea.

I suggest you move the files to a 'processing' folder after you renamed them with your existing rules. Then you set up this rule to run on the contents of the processing folder.

Basically you just need three tokens. 1) the name of the show (token type Anything), 2) the season (token type Number) and 3) the episode (also token type Number).

2) Sort the files into a subfolder with the name you provided with your token for the TV show name.
3) Sort the files into another subfolder with the season, also provided from one of you tokens.
4) Sort the files into even another subfolder for the individual episode, using the tokens for season and episode.

I'm sure the rule needs a bit of tweeking, but one rule should be enough for all your shows. Just make sure you get clean tokens by defining a precise pattern match phrase. For example, don't forget a Space in front of the S or you will end up with a Space at the end of you Name of the Show token.

Hope this helps a bit.

Polaris

Thanks a lot for this tutorial..

Well done
christyfredrick

Re: Organizing TV Series w/ subtitles Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:26 pm • by mrgreeneyes
polaris wrote:Hi,

Hope this helps a bit.

Polaris

can i get a copy of the rules? i am very interested in having all my tv shows automatically sorted into a specific folder.
i can't seem to figure out how to get the proper rules set.
mrgreeneyes

Return to Support