Move the containing folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Move the containing folder Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:18 am • by FOOOD
Below is what I want to achieve. Is this possible?

I have a folder on the desktop called Dump where I dump (pretty much) everything.

In there are folders to keep things organised (documents, pics, video etc.)

What I'd like to do is say I drop a folder in there that contains video files it will move the folder containing the video files to the Video folder, rather than just the video files. If I dropped video files into the Dump folder (not in a folder) it would just move them to the Video folder.

So as an example I have a folder called 'TV show 1' containing video files & I drop it into the Dump folder the whole folder containing the video files is moved to the Video folder.

I guess I'm asking if there's a 'Move files & containing folder' or 'Move containing folder' kind of action?
FOOOD

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:02 pm • by Mr_Noodle
It's not possible now with the built-in actions but you can maybe write something in Applescript to do it for you. I imagine it would be two parts. First would be a rule that matches video files that would invoke a script that would do add a keyword/comment/color to the containing folder. Then a rule to look for folders with that marking that would then move the folder to wherever.

Let me know if you need further help with this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:16 pm • by FOOOD
Thanks a lot, I'll look into the AppleScript way.
FOOOD

Return to Support