Sorting photos

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Sorting photos Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:48 am • by fboukari
Hi,
I used a program on windows called downloader pro, It copied and renamed files from the computer/CF-card to the following folders, based on files creation date,: year-->month. If a folder didn't exist it created it. Is this possible with this program? It did also rename the files based on creation date an orginal name etc, as I understand rename is not avaliable yet. But if I can copy files to folder and create them on the go I will be happy :)
fboukari

Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:44 pm • by Mr_Noodle
You should be able to do it in 2.0 (both the rename and creating folders). It's in beta now. If you'd like to test it out, you can get it at http:///www.noodlesoft.com/beta

Let me know if you need any help getting the rules set up.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:31 am • by fboukari
Tanks,
I have now downloaded it. I can't find out if it's possible to create folders based on files creation date, eg I would like to create folder July, on the fly, and sort photos into that folder. Is this possible?
/Fredric
fboukari

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:38 pm • by Mr_Noodle
This should probably be moved to the beta forum but in short, do "Sort into subfolders". Drag the "Date Created" token into the field. You can then click on the little arrow on the "Date Created" token to bring up a menu where you can edit the date format.

In the date editor, you can remove everything but the month (or just remove everything and drag month back in). By default, it's the numerical month but if you click on its arrow, you'll get a menu of alternate representations, including in textual format (i.e. "Jul" or "July").
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:36 pm • by fboukari
I did set up a rule as you described. The behavor is somewhat sporadic.
Sometimes it works and some times it creates the following structure:
1904 > January . And sometimes a correct structure with a structure
within eg: 2007 > July > 1904 >January. I even tried to get the dates
from exif with same result. My rule in "do rhe following" section : Sort into
subfolders, pattern: date created(year) > date created(month name).
fboukari

Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:02 am • by Mr_Noodle
As for the "1904", could you check the created date on the file? Do a "Get Info" on the file in Finder to get the created date.

As for the repeated structure, do you have a rule with the action "Run Rules on Folder Contents"? Or do you have multiple "Sort into Subfolder" actions within the same rule? Maybe if you could email me and maybe send some screenshots of the rule in question, I can figure out what's going on.

Thanks.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:54 pm • by fboukari
There where no creation date on my raw files. I use date modified instead and everything works just fine. If I buy Hazel now will I get V2 when it's finished?
fboukari

Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:25 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Glad you got it working.

2.0 is a free upgrade. Since 2.0 will likely have a higher price, it actually is more economical to buy it now at the 1.0 price.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support