Hazel just won't ignore folders I try to exclude!

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

In my downloads-folder, I want all the rules to apply to everything except some specific folders.
I set this up, exactly as it says in the support:

"Use the "Ignore file" action. Make the first rule match the files you want to ignore and set the action to "Ignore file". Since Hazel stops processing rules after the first match, the subsequent rules in the list will not be applied to any files that match this rule."

But still, these folders get's moved...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctuaqg76ixkv4hh/screen1.tiff
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqqvqmcolgbwm37/screen2.tiff

Does this only work with files? Not folders?
papawasarodeo

The conditions should work the same for files and folders. What I think is happening is that you have a dot (.) in the name which means everything after it is interpreted as the extension. Try matching on Full Name instead.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:The conditions should work the same for files and folders. What I think is happening is that you have a dot (.) in the name which means everything after it is interpreted as the extension. Try matching on Full Name instead.

The name has a dot. and I've tried full name as well.
Work's if I just apply the rule "contains" and just "0" But some files I WANT to apply my rules to could have a zero in the name. I've applied the rule "kind is folder" as well, and that narrows it down a bit. But still, it's not optimal.

a dot (.) shouldn't be interpreted as the beginning of an extension when the RULE actually is for the NAME.
Don't you agree?
papawasarodeo

Could you post your rule using full name along with a screenshot of how it looks in the preview?

As for interpreting the dot as an extension or not, it takes a bit more smarts than that and even through it's obvious to you as a human, to the system, it may not be the case. I have some ideas in mind for making it smarter but doing so will make it less predictable and when it's wrong, it can be very confusing. The way it is now, by definition (and this isn't just Hazel, but how files tend to be handled on many OSes) is that dot separates the name from the extension.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support