Beginner - Workflow: rename (snippets?) & file pdfs

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi:

I’m looking for workflows for dummies for Hazel/TextWrangler or Automator or whatever to (1) batch convert now and (2) subsequently on an individual basis as documents are downloaded into my downloads folder, rename generically-named pdfs and then file them in the appropriate subfolder?

I have groups of and receive documents named things like "06488146.PDF" and "MC_Docket (25).pdf". The content shows the title as something like "NOTICE OF SERVICE OF PLAINTIFF'S RESPONSES TO DEFENDANT'S INTERROGATORIES TO PLAINTIFF" and at the bottom, there’s a date. Ideally, I’d rename this to: "09/20/12, N/Serv./P’s Responses to interrogs". I have no idea how to auto-rename it either like that or by its given title.

How do I batch rename multiple documents numerically (but not sequentially) named, and those named ""MC_Docket number"? Can I program Hazel along with TextWrangler or Automator or A Better Finder Renamer or other recommended app. to ‘read’ the dates and titles from the content for renaming purposes, then shorten/abbreviate (not expand) the titles, or do I insert these manually via a snippet somewhere? If so, how do I link the snippet to the pertinent document and incorporate that into the workflow?

How do I change the font from bold to regular, and uppercase to first letter uppercase and the rest lowercase?

When Hazel watches a folder, do I need to specify the depth/exact number of subfolders, or how do I set Hazel to run on all contents of all subfolders?

Sorry if this is too basic. I’ve reviewed lots of stuff online and the ‘Get info’ menu option for these kinds of documents but remain stuck at the beginning, and am hoping someone is will be kind enough to spoonfeed me…

Thank you, so very much,

— Susan
foster13

Search the forums. There are various scripts people have done to search the contents of files for a specific pattern.

I don't know what you mean by renaming documents numerically but not sequentially. Could you provide an example of what you mean? To actually format the document, that's a bit outside of what support I can find. Maybe there is some way to use AppleScript with TextWrangler to do this but you'll have to research this on your own.

Regarding subfolders, please read the sticky article at the top of the forum. Please read it carefully. There's a part telling you what not to do and unfortunately, some people seem to ignore it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support