Hazel wont unzip my Files

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hazel wont unzip my Files Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:03 am • by tacker
Hi,

I have a rule set up, where every file thats contained in ~/Downloads that has "string" in it, gets moved to
~/Downloads/sort/ this works fine. (Files with "String" in them are zip Archives or rar Archives, just for clarification).
I then have a rule on the sort folder to unzip the Archives

Rule:
if ALLof the following conditions are met for CURRENT FILE OR FOLDER
KIND is ARCHIVE
EXTENSION is ZIP

Do the following:

UNARCHIVE
MOVE to folder TRASH

and nothing happens. The archive does not get unarchived. And the zip-File/Archive does not get moved to the trash.
This topic has been posted about a lot, but I have never come around my specific problems, since the most people had problem with rar. I dont have stuffit or something like that installed, I always use the standard mac unarchiver.

What am I doing wrong ??
Thanks for your help.
tacker

Re: Hazel wont unzip my Files Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:13 pm • by a_freyer
I'll clarify that the "Unarchive" action actually does two things. First, it unarchives and moves the archive to the trash. Second, it passes to subsequent actions the unarchived file or directory and not the archive itself.

So, you should delete the "move to trash" line first:

Code: Select all
if (all) of the following conditions are met for (current file or folder)
     kind is archive
     extension is zip

do the following:
     unarchive

There is no reason why this setup should not unarchive zip files within your /sort/ folder. So, the next step is to open the error log (either in the console app, or through Hazel itself) to determine what's going on.

I suspect that a few things could be going on:
(1) Perhaps the zip is using a unique compression and the standard unarchiver cannot unarchive it
(2) Perhaps your volume is case sensitive and the "ZIP" extension is not the same as "zip"
(3) Some other odd error that will be shown in the logs.

Best of luck and post back!
a_freyer

Return to Support