iTunes importing

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

iTunes importing Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:50 pm • by shaug
I have two machines at home that store their files in the same location (a network share), but have their own library xml files. I frequently add music from one machine, and would like to have it automatically added to the other machine's library. Is this possible to do in Hazel? In other words, is Hazel smart enough to only add music that isn't already in the library? Or will a rule on this share that imports the files into iTunes continually keep importing the same files over and over again?
shaug

Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:50 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Interesting question.

If I understand you correctly, you want to import files into both libraries from one machine? If so, I don't think Hazel can do this as is. It would require some scripting.

For a single user adding to his/her own single library, Hazel should be smart enough not to add duplicate files though a lot of this is dependent on how smart iTunes is with detecting them. I think the important thing here is that you move the file to its final place on the filesystem before importing.

Also, in general, Hazel does not keep executing the same rule over and over again on the same file. It keeps track of what rule it matched last time and if it keeps matching it, it will not execute the actions.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any more help.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:56 pm • by shaug
No, I don't want hazel to import into both libraries from one machine.

Consider this network setup: Mac A, Mac B, and FileServer C. Both macs have their own itunes db/library.xml file, but the files are stored in FileServer C in a common directory, exposed via a network share. Mac A adds 1 or more files to its library, and iTunes copies them to their final resting place on C. Now, B doesn't know about this file until I attempt to import it from that machine somehow. Because the file is already in its 'final place', all that needs to happen is for the file to be recorded in B's iTunes DB/xml file.

I want a copy of Hazel to run on both A and B, each monitoring the share on C and keeping their respective iTunes DB in sync.

Based on your description of how Hazel works, this should be possible. I'll give it a try this weekend.
shaug

Return to Support